Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wheel options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Alphaogre
I have a 1970 914-4 that I am going to be flat towing to AX and track events. It is a narrow body 4 lug. I am looking to have a set of wheels to flat tow/ drive around town on Sundays, then have another set of wheels with purpose track tires for when I get to the track or AX.

When I bought the car, it came with a set of 5 lug Fuchs with a five lug conversion kit. This obviously will not pass tech.

I love the look of the Fuchs, but love tracking the car more! I picked up a set of Gurney wheels for the new 4 lug "street" wheel set up, but I'm having trouble finding the track wheels. I am looking to have them as wide as possible, from what I read, I think it is around 7in. But I'm not sure on which 4 lugs are anywhere near the 7 in wide range.

Any wheels that can be recommended to look at would be great. I also noticed the gurney wheels are a Mac lug set up., this would be mean that I would have to have screw in studs in the hub right? Or is there a way to run these wheels with a lug bolt set up?
steuspeed
Have a look at Kodaik racing, Minilite or Panasport.
campbellcj
I had a sweet set of Panasports many years ago and was extremely happy with them. The look is "period correct" and they are light and reasonably strong.
Mueller
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 5 2015, 05:22 PM) *

I have a 1970 914-4 that I am going to be flat towing to AX and track events. It is a narrow body 4 lug. I am looking to have a set of wheels to flat tow/ drive around town on Sundays, then have another set of wheels with purpose track tires for when I get to the track or AX.

When I bought the car, it came with a set of 5 lug Fuchs with a five lug conversion kit. This obviously will not pass tech.

I love the look of the Fuchs, but love tracking the car more! I picked up a set of Gurney wheels for the new 4 lug "street" wheel set up, but I'm having trouble finding the track wheels. I am looking to have them as wide as possible, from what I read, I think it is around 7in. But I'm not sure on which 4 lugs are anywhere near the 7 in wide range.

Any wheels that can be recommended to look at would be great. I also noticed the gurney wheels are a Mac lug set up., this would be mean that I would have to have screw in studs in the hub right? Or is there a way to run these wheels with a lug bolt set up?

Do you mean adapters or redrilled to 5 lug? I have not heard of someone not passing tech due to a redrilled conversion.

eric9144
sean_v8_914 just listed a set of Minilites in 15x6.5 here in SD... Those work with stock fenders beerchug.gif
Mugs914
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 7 2015, 03:56 PM) *

sean_v8_914 just listed a set of Minilites in 15x6.5 here in SD... Those work with stock fenders beerchug.gif

agree.gif Great option...

Kodiak and others have (or can make) just about anything you want, but they are proud of 'em.

Mugs
Alphaogre
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Apr 7 2015, 03:56 PM) *

idea.gif
Alphaogre
Seemingly impossible to find a 7" wide wheel with 4.5" to 5" back spacing, found a couple 6.5"s but the back spacing is tricky. Deffenetly have some 6" options and shit tons of 5.5" options. (These are all generic "in stock" options)

So the question is, if the car is not super dialed in and set up to a comparative level, will you notice the difference between the .5" or 1" width difference?

Is it worth it, or is it better to just go with what will easily work and get out there. Then work toward dialing the car in and looking for advantages slightly better mechanical grip here and there, with set up and wheel options?
Downunderman
Performance Wheels do a 15 x 7 with 4.4" back spacing, but i know that they will make them to whatever you like. There must be a dealer over there somewhere. 8.8kg = about 19 lbs each. See performancewheels.com.au.

Cheers,
eric9144
QUOTE(Alphaogre @ Apr 8 2015, 11:05 PM) *

Seemingly impossible to find a 7" wide wheel with 4.5" to 5" back spacing, found a couple 6.5"s but the back spacing is tricky. Deffenetly have some 6" options and shit tons of 5.5" options. (These are all generic "in stock" options)

So the question is, if the car is not super dialed in and set up to a comparative level, will you notice the difference between the .5" or 1" width difference?

Is it worth it, or is it better to just go with what will easily work and get out there. Then work toward dialing the car in and looking for advantages slightly better mechanical grip here and there, with set up and wheel options?

agree.gif
Went through this all years ago when I AX'd here in San Diego too, there's only a handful of wheels that are "plug and play" to keep the 4x130 bolt pattern.
Minilites, 6.5" and heavy
Panasports, look like minilites, can be custom up to 7" but are going to run you more $, are made/avail here in So California--Torrance (probably the most logical choice)
Revolutions, 7" also heavy and somewhat hard to find because they can only be had used
Centerlines, were 3 piece so various sizes, typically no holes for venting, bug guys used them a lot.

...and there were some rare 'others' and some other branded knock offs out there...

My dream was to get some OE 2.0 Fuchs widened to 7" got distracted by shiny things and stopped AX'ing as much so I haven't looked in a long time...
brant
Find a set of revolutions
Borderline
If you could find someone with a set of these:

Click to view attachment

I've only been trying to sell them for 3 years......not trying too hard biggrin.gif look here
Alphaogre
How could I miss those ! biggrin.gif I'm picking up a set of 16x6 empi wheels tomorrow, I figure that it will hold me over while I get started and other things dialed in. Not the full width I'd like, but the money to gain that extra inch can be used to help get other parts of the car brought up to snuff.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.