Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Advice for clucth/flywheel 3.0l conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
maddin
Hi,
I'm about to order a few parts to put the 78' 3.0l in that i got a while ago.
Pretty much got a list of everything i need but unsure of the clutch/flywheel combination.
I found this on the Patrick Motorsport site

clutch conversion

I still have the original flywheel that came with the engine.Should I get a new one or will the original one be fine to use?

I don't need anything fancy,it'll be a street car/cruiser.

I'd be interested to see what others with a 3.0l conversion have used.
There are quite a few options out there with some of the members fabricating their own flywheels ( i won't be able to do that ) but what exactly are the effects of different combinations? How does the feel of the clutch change with different components?

Thanks in advance for your advice
Marty

patssle
Carbs or fuel injection? And what is the condition of your flywheel...at some point it may have been turned down too much.

I'm running that Stage II on my 3.0L - it is a good choice. You also need the throwout bearing. That kit doesn't include it. You'll get better prices from Kennedy Engineering.
maddin
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 6 2015, 12:40 PM) *

Carbs or fuel injection? And what is the condition of your flywheel...at some point it may have been turned down too much.

I'm running that Stage II on my 3.0L - it is a good choice. You also need the throwout bearing. That kit doesn't include it. You'll get better prices from Kennedy Engineering.

Hi,
I'll keep the original CIS.
I think it would make sense to get a new flywheel anyway ,just wondering if i should get exactly the same or a different one.
Is that the bearing you're talking about?

I read about Kennedy Engineering a few times,I think I'll contact them.

SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 5 2015, 06:40 PM) *
I'm running that Stage II on my 3.0L - it is a good choice.

agree.gif
maddin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2015, 01:23 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 5 2015, 06:40 PM) *
I'm running that Stage II on my 3.0L - it is a good choice.

agree.gif

is that the stage II ?
kit
Matt Romanowski
Got my flywheel and clutch from Kennedy. It's lived over 7k track miles in a track car without any trouble.
SirAndy
QUOTE(maddin @ Apr 6 2015, 02:19 AM) *
is that the stage II ?
kit

No, that is a racing clutch and if you drive your car on the street at all, you WILL hate the 4puck clutch.

Trust me, been there, done that, hated it ...
dry.gif

PS: The ring gear looks to be KEP and the pressure plate may be as well. I'd talk to KEP directly, they have always been very helpful to get me exactly what i needed for my car.
http://www.kennedyenginc.com/
tomrev
+ for Kennedy, They made up a flywheel for me when I put a 3.0 into my six in the late 80's. I think it was the first one they made for a 3L, with 9 bolt inner, and outer dim's that matched original flywheel, and it worked flawlessly. They also tend to have the best pricing.
SirAndy
This is what their Stage 2 kit looks like with a streetable clutch:

IPB Image

I have since upgraded to a Stage 3 pressure plate, too much torque with the 3.6L ...
smile.gif
maddin
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 7 2015, 03:05 AM) *

This is what their Stage 2 kit looks like with a streetable clutch:

IPB Image

I have since upgraded to a Stage 3 pressure plate, too much torque with the 3.6L ...
smile.gif

Excellent,
thanks for the help.I'll contact Kennedy and have a chat with them smile.gif

patssle
Not sure if KEP does fuel injection flywheels that have a sensor? I know when I checked they suggested using my own flywheel for CIS or theirs for carbs. I'm not knowledgeable about FI so don't know what type of sensor has to be part of the flywheel.
SirAndy
QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 6 2015, 04:09 PM) *
Not sure if KEP does fuel injection flywheels that have a sensor? I know when I checked they suggested using my own flywheel for CIS or theirs for carbs. I'm not knowledgeable about FI so don't know what type of sensor has to be part of the flywheel.

I used my stock (well, sans a few pounds) 3.6L flywheel with the sensor teeth and KEP supplied the ring-gear needed to run the 914 starter and mount the pressure plate.
smile.gif
worn
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 6 2015, 04:19 PM) *

QUOTE(patssle @ Apr 6 2015, 04:09 PM) *

I used my stock (well, sans a few pounds) 3.6L flywheel with the sensor teeth and KEP supplied the ring-gear needed to run the 914 starter and mount the pressure plate.
smile.gif

What i hope to do with a kip set up second hand for a 3.2. Dropped the flywheel off for resurfacing. Hope they do car parts for antiques. Hard anymore to describe what the parts are in many circumstances.
Perry Kiehl Clone
I'll 2nd the Kennedy. Be sure to consider your clutch tube, and possibly reinforcing it.
Cap'n Krusty
CIS engines DO NOT utilize a flywheel sensor!

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.