Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't Assume Anything.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Series9
Why is this customer's engine running cold on one cylinder when it has new carbs, verified compression and verified spark?

Check out the picture. One of the emulsion tubes is missing one machine operation.

DBCooper
Ha ha ha, seeing that makes me feel SO much better about all those things I couldn't figure out for the life of me. You've given me hope. I'm usually an idiot and I can accept that, but maybe not always.

So who's messing with you?

balljoint
Oops! pinch.gif
Steve
Engineering oversight!! Nice catch!!
stugray
My brother was assembling his TR4 motor last weekend.

He had all of the rod bearings in 4 new boxes that appeared to be unopened.
Luckily he measured the rods with the bearings IN before assembly with an inside Mic.

EVERY ONE of the bearings was a different size even though the boxes were all marked 'STD'.
When it comes to engine assembly INSPECT & MEASURE EVERYTHING.
FourBlades
Nice catch!

John
914_teener
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 7 2015, 09:50 AM) *

Nope....manufacturing quality control if the feature missing is critical to function.
r_towle
so, there are thousands of tubes out in the world that look like that and have been randomly placed into who knows how many carbs....

Awesome.

Rich
914bub
Reminds me of the time I was doing a tune up an old Volvo. Replaced all the parts, set dwell, went to start it up and nothing.....After chasing my tail for a bit I figured out I had a grounded rotor,brand new,right out of the package.
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 7 2015, 12:08 PM) *

Nope....manufacturing quality control if the feature missing is critical to function.

No, quality control has been eliminated from most modern manufacturing. The modern business model says that it is more cost efficient to replace some defective widgets under warranty than to inspect every widget produced…
Nine_14
QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Apr 7 2015, 09:32 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 7 2015, 12:08 PM) *

No, quality control has been eliminated from most modern manufacturing. The modern business model says that it is more cost efficient to replace some defective widgets under warranty than to inspect every widget produced…

agree.gif

It is sad, but the truth.
JmuRiz
I guess the saying 'parts is parts' really isn't true biggrin.gif

Good find.
euro911
WTF.gif Interesting.
DBCooper
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Apr 7 2015, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(damesandhotrods @ Apr 7 2015, 09:32 PM) *

agree.gif

It is sad, but the truth.

Absolutely not true. Absolutely, absolutely, absolutely not true. Quality control these days is better than at any time in history. Seriously. It's a science now and constantly improving. I spent my career in manufacturing and importing products and selling them here, and there's no comparison between the standards of quality now and even twenty years ago. That failure will be an embarrassment to the manufacturer who can not STAND that this discussion is taking place in public, among consumers. He should have had test procedures in place to catch that six times before it got boxed, and I'm pretty sure he will after this so it won't be repeated. If not he deserves to die, and he will.

No one these days can afford to have defective products reach the public. No one has the patience for it so it's death to a manufacturer, and that's what happens, death, because the importer, the distributor and the mechanics who've been affected won't make a second purchase. In the old days yes, it could go on, but not now because it's so easy for the public to talk, see how many stars on Amazon, reputation on e-Bay, forums like this, so the reputation as a supplier gets knocked down pretty quickly and an alternative supplier is found. This is an aberration, not the norm. Really, I swear, cross my heart.

Really.

euro911
Really? … then why is AA still around? laugh.gif

poke.gif
DBCooper
QUOTE(euro911 @ Apr 7 2015, 01:34 PM) *

poke.gif

Good point. Don't know if you mean AA or Automobile Atlanta, but true for both. For Automobile Atlanta I think the answer is that they've been around forever, their paper catalog was revered as a kind of 914 bible, and back in the old days they were the only game in town so they were saviors when you most needed something. Plus they haven't actually screwed everybody. So far, anyway. You want to believe, but that is changing as more and more people visit forums and hear the travails of the poor suckers they've stiffed. So much negative buzz but they still haven't succumbed.

For AA I have no clue. Maybe because LN's stuff is so expensive and AA so cheap that people continue to buy based on hope? Bunch of slow learners? I don't know, it's a mystery to me. I do know that if I did those things to my customers I'd have been hunted down and lynched.

Drums66
.......Intriguing(sabotage) idea.gif
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
Jake Raby
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 7 2015, 01:17 PM) *

poke.gif

Good point. Don't know if you mean AA or Automobile Atlanta, but true for both. For Automobile Atlanta I think the answer is that they've been around forever, their paper catalog was revered as a kind of 914 bible, and back in the old days they were the only game in town so they were saviors when you most needed something. Plus they haven't actually screwed everybody. So far, anyway. You want to believe, but that is changing as more and more people visit forums and hear the travails of the poor suckers they've stiffed. So much negative buzz but they still haven't succumbed.

For AA I have no clue. Maybe because LN's stuff is so expensive and AA so cheap that people continue to buy based on hope? Bunch of slow learners? I don't know, it's a mystery to me. I do know that if I did those things to my customers I'd have been hunted down and lynched.

The AA stuff is still around because it's cheap... People set their expectation level for cheap stuff so low that they'll accept half assed parts and just let it go. Thats the VW that will always be inside this Porsche.

LN parts aren't expensive, they offer the proper value for the expenditure. People just get pissy because they spend Porsche money for Porsche parts that are fitting into a 914 engine. Thats why I sold my store to LN and haven't looked back.

I've spent ore money with LN than anyone else, ever, starting back in 1999 when I convinced two college guys to start a business and offer their product that started as a project. I was their first customer and haven't ever complained about what anything costs; in fact, I tell Charles that a lot of the parts are sold too cheaply.

The very first set of Nickies cylinders can be found on my 220HP 2.6L T4 engine in the back of my 356 Outlaw, 16 years and 120K miles so far, and they're been fitted to 5 different engines over that time period.
AndyB
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 8 2015, 12:07 AM) *

QUOTE(DBCooper @ Apr 7 2015, 01:17 PM) *

poke.gif

The AA stuff is still around because it's cheap... People set their expectation level for cheap stuff so low that they'll accept half assed parts and just let it go. Thats the VW that will always be inside this Porsche.

LN parts aren't expensive, they offer the proper value for the expenditure. People just get pissy because they spend Porsche money for Porsche parts that are fitting into a 914 engine. Thats why I sold my store to LN and haven't looked back.

I've spent ore money with LN than anyone else, ever, starting back in 1999 when I convinced two college guys to start a business and offer their product that started as a project. I was their first customer and haven't ever complained about what anything costs; in fact, I tell Charles that a lot of the parts are sold too cheaply.

The very first set of Nickies cylinders can be found on my 220HP 2.6L T4 engine in the back of my 356 Outlaw, 16 years and 120K miles so far, and they're been fitted to 5 different engines over that time period.

Really Jake? I thought you quit this site last year? dry.gif .
DBCooper
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 7 2015, 09:07 PM) *

LN parts aren't expensive, they offer the proper value for the expenditure.

You have a different perspective than I do, Jake. Those LN P/C's all by themselves cost more than my whole car did! Way more, just the P/C's!! A good running car with a new set of tires on it!!

"Proper value for the expenditure" sounds a lot like 997 talk. I understand the theory, but...

rhodyguy
"Chinese empis"?
Series9

I want to say that I sent that same picture to Weber USA and that they have responded in a very thorough manner.

They have requested all the details (many, many details) so they can try to track the source of this failure.
rhodyguy
"The source".... lol-2.gif
colingreene
I wish he had quit.
Nine_14
Remembering the time i was working in Dubai...... one day a have had a little problem with a leaking shower-hose, I went to the next shopping mall near to my house, to check out a new one.
I found a plumber shop over there and shure, there where shower hoses in the assortment.
I asked for a price.... 1 Euro. Visual i was not really assured about the quality of this stuff, I bought 2 pieces, shure about the fact, that a hose like this must have a life holding time of a few days.
Absolutly right, the first hose did his job for one week, the other one about 2.
Remembering where i bought this items, it was no big suprise.
This shopping Mall is called CHINA MALL and never before i saw a shopping mall in this dimensions, full of things, which never saw any QC,any kind of product testing or something like this.
Only made to get destroyed when using dry.gif
Acctually here in Germany you have the choice bettween cheep fuckin china products and quality products in most cases. I hope, we can keep it like this.
It's a question of the price and my personal quality demand.
And yes, high price quality products have QC.
ThePaintedMan
Good catch Joe. I thought you didn't work on carbs? I guess this is one more reason why you despise them smile.gif

Honestly, it takes someone who knows what to look for to catch something like that. Also more of a reason to take your car to Series9!
mskala
Just got some new idle jets from webercarbsdirect. One of these things is not like the other biggrin.gif Luckily it doesn't make a difference except when I lose it pulling things apart.
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.