Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lap Cylinders into Head? Just Resurface Head?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nebreitling
hey guys

about to head off to the machine shop for some spark plug repairs. this is on a hi-compression 2.0 with very few miles on it. Question:

should i pull the cylinders and have them lapped into the heads? i'd rather spend money now than fuch with head leaks later...

wouldn't this effectively decrease deck height, though, thus effecting compression? would i then need to reset the deck height afterwards?

thanks beerchug.gif n
nebreitling
btw, i really don't want to pull the cylinders, etc... would just a little resurfacing do the trick?
skline
No, Lapping the cylinders to the heads will make them mate better and seat correctly. No head gasket should be used. Nothing will change in your deck height. Just make sure you do each cylinder to the respective head slot. Then just reinstall them in the same order and torque them down and go. Easy as pie.
Cap'n Krusty
How're ya gonna hold those barrels perfectly perpendicular to the mating surface? Get the exact same amount of lapping in each hole? The machinists I use do a nice job of getting the head perfectly flat. I'm not gonna introduce a wild card into the mix. The Cap'n
scooter311
I lapped mine in once, then then the heads ended up on and off so many times and eventually got flycut, so I put'em on anyway and they've been dandy ever since. Car has never run better actually.

Mind you, I monitored compression and leakdown every time - with nothing but positive results in my case at least. No gaskets, no goopy copper sealer, just good ol' flat surfaces.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.