Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Revs Institute in Naples, Fl
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sfrenck
Stopped by the Revs Institute in Naples, FL today to look at their Porsche collection. Very nice museum - and nice to see this 914-6GT from the Marathon de la Route in Nurburgring!

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I've never seen so many classic Porsches in one room before! I'll post more pics as I have time (unfortunately, they didn't open up any engine bays for me).

Click to view attachment
Vysoc
How did you get away with taking photo's........ as they strictly forbid that?

I have been lucky enough to get in the workshop with the Everglades PCA, like a hospital operating room, but they don't allow photo's?

I thought I was lucky when they let me lay under the 914-6 GT you photographed?

REVS is a great place, millions of dollars of cars and they drive them, or they are all over the country for car shows. Miles Collier's personal collection.

Vysoc flag.gif
sfrenck
QUOTE(Vysoc @ Apr 7 2015, 06:25 PM) *

How did you get away with taking photo's........ as they strictly forbid that?

I have been lucky enough to get in the workshop with the Everglades PCA, like a hospital operating room, but they don't allow photo's?

I thought I was lucky when they let me lay under the 914-6 GT you photographed?

REVS is a great place, millions of dollars of cars and they drive them, or they are all over the country for car shows. Miles Collier's personal collection.

Vysoc flag.gif

They changed their policy - just can't use flash photography.
r_towle
Cool, on my list for next year when I visit mom.
SKL1
Just plan ahead a little as I don't think it is open every day...
Vysoc
Correct the REVS is very quirky about the days they are open so if you plan on going, call ahead to make sure the museum will be open when you are visiting Naples.

It is great that they are now allowing photo's as the collection is one of the best for Porsche's in the WORLD!!! Not to mention the millions of dollars in other great and rare cars and race vehicles!!

GO SEE REV'S

Vysoc flag.gif
Jetsetsurfshop
Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
They also close during hurricane season. All the car get put up on the second floor.
Some really great cars there.
flipb
I booked a last-minute winter break trip to Naples, FL with the wife and kids. Figured we'd mostly loaf at the beach and pool, maybe go for a bike ride.

But on a whim, I checked Tripadvisor to see if there's anything else we should see while we're in town. And discovered the Revs Institute. There's only one day they'll be open during our visit, so I grabbed tickets online.

Had no idea this existed but cannot wait. I'm jumping out of my skin to see this collection. So many things I've never seen in person before, including 904 CGT and McLaren F1!! drooley.gif
Craigers17
O.K. Dumb question.....what are the little silver/chrome do-hickeys on the doors about mid way down?
flipb
QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 20 2023, 11:26 AM) *

O.K. Dumb question.....what are the little silver/chrome do-hickeys on the doors about mid way down?

Illumination for the car number for night races.
Craigers17
QUOTE(flipb @ Dec 20 2023, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Craigers17 @ Dec 20 2023, 11:26 AM) *

Illumination for the car number for night races.

Thanks! I learn something new here everyday.
silverg
REVs is a world class car museum.
URY914
I was a volunteer docent there when they opened in 1988. biggrin.gif
gereed75
The Revs is incredible. In addition to the cars, they have many of the legendary engines on display from the golden days of Porsche air cooled roots

There are 4-6 cars in the collection that they consider priceless. They run them all from time to time, some more than others.

Don’t miss it if you have the opportunity
stownsen914
Need to visit this place, it sounds amazing. A family friend was a docent there for years, maybe still is?

It’s great they put their cars on track still. So many don’t anymore. They had a 908/3 at the Lime Rock vintage festival several years ago running 53 sec laps. That’s smoking’ fast, no parade laps there!
rgalla9146
QUOTE(stownsen914 @ Dec 21 2023, 12:11 PM) *

Need to visit this place, it sounds amazing. A family friend was a docent there for years, maybe still is?

It’s great they put their cars on track still. So many don’t anymore. They had a 908/3 at the Lime Rock vintage festival several years ago running 53 sec laps. That’s smoking’ fast, no parade laps there!

A few years ago a visit to inlaws on the east coast of Fla. was made with the agreement that we also drive across ( Alligator Alley) to Naples to visit the Revs Institute.
My wife is not a car person.
We both loved it. In fact she insisted on going back the next year.
The appeal for a non-car person is that each car is presented in the context of it's
period and its significance as an icon, a competitor or even a failure.
There is a strong showing of Porsche race cars and engines.
There is even the most unusual flat six Porsche engine you'll ever see.
Think 911R or 906... and two additional cams.
Go there
Bullethead

agree.gif

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
I was a volunteer docent there when they opened in 1988.

I went there in 1992
mgp4591
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Dec 21 2023, 06:30 PM) *

I was a volunteer docent there when they opened in 1988.

I went there in 1992

I was there 2 yrs ago...they offered me a job. Seriously. I'd live in Bonita but it'd be interesting.
flipb
Here's me repping a 914 shirt with the /6 GT

The museum really is remarkable. So many rare and one-of-one cars, like this.

Click to view attachment
9146GUY
Not only world class cars but their library is probably the best in the universe.
Unknown by most people and almost impossible to get access.
jfort
Went a couple of years ago. The best museum I've been to. Make reservations as they limit admission.
gulf908
hi Bullethead

did you happen to get a pic of the 916 motor descriptive ?
this motor should have been used more during 1967 as it was the building block of the 908 motor in 1968

thanks
Dennis smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.