Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: this vendor/machinist
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
This site
Hi,
I would like to hear some opinions of this machinist and the engine kits for sale on this site...

the prices seem reasonable for the engine kits.

No BS, no politics, just, how is the kit and how is the machinist.....

Rich

Duh the site would help...
Allan
What site? confused24.gif
r_towle
oops i fixed that.. biggrin.gif
redshift
Wow, sweet prices on things such as tune up kits, which are *very* inclusive.

M
Twystd1
Just so you guys know.
The guy in the picture next to the boring macine, ain't just another pretty face.

That would be John Edwards. You really have to understand who this guy is.

When Porsche came to SUNNEN to ask them how to resurface Alusil and Nikasil cylinders. so PORSCHE didn't have to use new cylinders each time they had a ring job.....
It was John that wrote the spec for them and created the felt lapping technique that Porsche technicians all over the world use to reclaim tired Porsche cylinders. on their nine ellebens.

This guy knows more about engine machining than dam near anyone I have ever met.

If ya go into his shop you will see everything from a standard SBC to a ferrari or lambo engine. And yup he knows air cooled engines very well....

He has a flow bench to make sure his head / valve work flows equally. That is a step that almost no one takes to guaranty uniformity of each cylinder. Unless you send the heads to a race shop for CCing and porting.

He also checks each mating surface with a surface tester to make sure he applies a particular finish to the material to keep any gaskets and mating surfaces from walking once the pieces are torqued down.

Aw hell.. I could go on forever........

If Steve Stromberg is using this guy for machining. He has one of the best machinists on the west coast. PERIOD.

I noticed on Steve's web site that it says John wrote a book about engine machining.

This book is the Sunnen bible that many machinists world wide use as a referance for all kinds of machine proceses.
Hell he even does Harley engines for my buddys that build 200 HP harleys.

This guy is for real..

By the way. I have never met Stromberg. I don't know the guy. I have talked him on the phone a total of 3 minutes. And that was last year. Point is that this ain't a pitch for anything. I just want you guys to know there is a good man in town that does incredible work. And apparently you get to him through Steve. Ok by me.

I can tell you if Steve is using John as his machinist. I wouldn't think twice abou it. I would and do use John. I have never looked back.

I do live on the west coast. And either John or Bensons Machine are the ONLY guys I trust in SoCal for top quality machining. There are probably other really good guys around. I just don't know em.

Ya gets what ya pay for.... From John anyway....

Just thought you guys oughta know......

My02 worth.

Twystd1

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif boldblue.gif
Twystd1
Hey Scott...

Do you know John Edwards?

Twystd1
skline
QUOTE (Twystd1 @ Feb 16 2005, 09:06 PM)
Hey Scott...

Do you know John Edwards?

Twystd1

Nope, never heard of him before in my life. I would have to go by what others say about him and his reputation.

You coming by to get those coils??
JB 914
I've worked with Steve when he was at Pelican and he used to bring parts home with him, so, i wouldn't have to drive 1hr in LA for pickup. He is a strait shooter and he knows his 914 stuff.

i'm glad he is doing his own thing now. i'm probably going to bring my plane.....er.....engine to him if i ever make up my mind to not upgrade to a 6 or Nickies.

Twystd1
Scott, Ams till at the office.
I get the Olds back today from Dorothy.

She's gunna pick me up about 11:00 tonight.

After that I am going back to the office...

Will have to wait till tomorrow.......... (He Prays)

Twystd1
Mueller
the book title is:

SUNNEN'S COMPLETE CYLINDER HEAD AND ENGINE REBUILDING HANDBOOK, by John G. Edwards

I happen to have it on my bookshelf right next to my computer, very informative.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.