Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tranny noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bleyseng
My tranny sounds like a 1952 GMC pickup in 1st and 2nd gear, whinning upon accel and decel. What do I have to fix?

Geoff smash.gif smash.gif
914werke
Have you checked the Gear oil level?
Bleyseng
Yeah.

This is a used tranny I got from a wrecked 914 that was Pink. Yep, factory pink! had about 35k on it.

Geoff
seanery
Does it do it all the time, or only when a 52 GMC pickup is following you? cool_shades.gif
Bleyseng
Ever since I bought it 2 years ago. I should unweld the GMC from the back of the car, it must slow me down at the AX some.
I know-now you guys will be sending me cheese to go with that whine!
Geoff
ChrisReale
I thought that was your turbo spooling up laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 4 2003, 04:24 PM)
My tranny sounds like a 1952 GMC pickup in 1st and 2nd gear, whinning upon accel and decel. What do I have to fix?

is the sound similar to the revers noise?
Dad Roberts
uuuhhhhhh.......loose nut behind the wheel?? rolleyes.gif
Bleyseng
It sounds the same in reverse. I think its got a problem because of the wreck in was in. Brad is the answerman so I'll just wait until he sees this and endure all the absuse from you other guys. tongue.gif

Geoff
Drums66
I agree with dad roberts.......it's the nut behind the wheel wacko.gif
Bleyseng
The problem is the loose nuts that are replying, big help you guys are.
You would hand a guy in quicksand a grenade with the pin pulled!
Geoff
SirAndy
QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Jun 4 2003, 07:57 PM)
You would hand a guy in quicksand a grenade with the pin pulled!

yeah, i mean, that would get him out of the hole, right?
Bleyseng
It would fix the problem!

Geoff
Drums66
Actually if it was you......you f..king squirrel I'd pitch you an anvil finger.gif
Bleyseng
such lauguage.....but not on topic at all. Don't you have any ideas on the noise?

Geoff
Drums66
try Redbeard, he's awful good with transmissions!

* Peace *
Qarl
Wear on the pinions? Does it sound like a rattle spray-paint can?

Is it only in the first 2 to 3 gears, but goes away in 4th and 5th?
Bleyseng
By then Karl the damn Bursch is soo loud you can't hear anything! I think a bearing is toast but I want to have a idea what could be wrong before I rip it apart. I suppose I could pour 4 cans of Power Punch in it to quiet in down but that doesn't fix it.
Geoff
MarkV
Probably the bearing in the intermediate plate for 1st & 2nd gear. The bearing is going away and the gears have all new clearance. I wouldn't drive it much or you could do further damage to some other expensive parts.

I stole the photo from Red Beards trany web site (sorry Red Beard):
Bleyseng
Thanks Mark, I guess I will park it and rip it out.
Geoff
914werke
wacko.gif At least no one recomended sawdust!
echocanyons
Hey Mark how bout a link to Red-Beards Trans site
echocanyons
found it here it is

http://home.san.rr.com/pb914/rebuild/
Lawrence
Can you add that link to our page?

thanks,
L
echocanyons
done driving.gif
rhodyguy
spinning your tires in gravel and then hitting pavement in first gear helps. you should do it more often. laugh.gif

kevin
Bleyseng
Atleast mine CAN do that!
How is the engine install coming? Did you fire it up yesterday?

Geoff mueba.gif
rhodyguy
electrics, fuel pump power this time. i'd rather shovel chicken shit. i'm trying to use the stock wiring to power the pump. i can use the + side of the coil, but i'm concerned about probs with the compufire and running an additional lead from the coil to power the pump. will recheck continuity of all the wires/ relay pannel this am. or try to fish a wire through the harness and pull power from a switched circuit on the fuse panel, not real excited about this option.

kevin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.