Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Just starting out- what spares?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wrpspddrvr
Hi all. For those of us investing in our first 914s (non-rusted out project cars...), what are some handy things to have? So far my list is:
1) the Haynes manual
2) the Weber carb book
3) spare accel and clutch cables (I understand these failing are fairly common)
4) shift-bushing kit
5) Car cover

Anything else I should get? What do y'all reccomend?

Thanks!
Cole monkeydance.gif
SirAndy
AAA membership ...

biggrin.gif Andy
r_towle
an entire running parts car of the same year...

Rich biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
MAP torch and a spare 914 biggrin.gif

MAP torch seriously...
bd1308
I second the AAA thing....use it all the time. The tow truck guy in the Louisville area knows me by name. Whats a MAP torch? is torch british for flashlight (hehe)
scotty914
second the AAA membership

go buy a decent socket set in both 3/8 and 1/4 drive with deep 10, 12, 13, 17 mm. you will be amazed how much easier it is to get the 1/4 drive in some places.

okay teri just said a camera in your car to take pics of any other 914s you see biggrin.gif . also handy for any parking lot dings dry.gif , or future mike z avitars boldblue.gif .
bd1308
i'd second that camera thing too.
nebreitling
4 jackstands, a tarp, and plenty of beer.
scotty914
and if you are like the rest of us, in 2 to 3 years when the car gets on the road. wrap a clutch and throttle cable around the expansion tank ( top of gas tank ) with a spare clutch cable trunnion and nuts.
redshift
QUOTE (scott thacher @ Feb 16 2005, 01:11 AM)

okay teri just said a camera in your car to take pics of any other 914s you see biggrin.gif . also handy for any parking lot dings dry.gif , or future mike z avitars boldblue.gif .

Uhh... you lock your car?

The keys work?

smile.gif

M
riverman
Jack stands, two trolley jacks, grinder, sawzall, Mig welder, complete set of metric wrenches, 5 gal. of POR-15, 2 to 3 years worth of space to store your car and all the parts that come off it and you accumulate while you get it road worthy, a very patient and understanding significant other.
xsboost90
MIG welder, a gallon of POR15, a lawn chair.
wrpspddrvr
Hmmm. I don't think I said that very well. What I meant by "non rusted-out project cars" was a daily driver/NOT a project car.
Considering the answers, I hope y'all were talking about a project car.... ohmy.gif

But thanks for all the replies! I hope to have one or two of everything y'all mentioned!
See ya', Ben Franklin!

Cole monkeydance.gif
roundboy914
VISA and/or MasterCard with big ass credit limit!
CptTripps
agree.gif with roundboy...That's my secret weapon.

It doesn't matter if it's a project, or a concourse car....here's my list.

4-6 jack stands.
2-ton Floor Jack
Metric Sockets (1/2, 3/8, and 1/4)
SAE Sockets (for when you find 'fixes' the PO made)
Little Mag-Light
Heat Gun (removing undercoating/paint/seals)
Rivit Gun (removing/replacing rockers every few months to clean out the debris that collects there)
AAA Gold Membership (I don't care HOW great your 914 is..it WILL BREAK DOWN!)
A fire extinguisher
...anything morphenspectra, and Engman make.

That's just off the top of my head.
jr91472
To keep in Car:
-spare fuses
-extra "round" relays

In the garage:
-big ass vice (to kill the pain)
-big ass vice (for holding and pressing things)
-brake line wrench's plus bleeding gear
URY914
A lap top and a LONG cable.

So you can be in contact with us here at mission control at all times.

Good luck. May the force be with you.

Paul
Kerrys914
I think all 914's are "Project" cars biggrin.gif

Don't forget the scrap pieces of carboard or ? to keep the 914 from marking her spot in the garage.

Cheers beer.gif

Smilies describing 914 ownership

driving.gif headbang.gif type.gif beer.gif sawzall-smiley.gif headbang.gif barf.gif type.gif beer.gif smilie_pokal.gif driving.gif
DNHunt
All of the above plus

Spare bed

Cause the wife's gonna say "If you love that thing more than me why don't you go sleep with it?" screwy.gif

Plenty of rags

Cause it's gonna get messy.

Lot's of old clothes

Cause you're gonna get dirty.

Good sense of humor

Cause it's gonna let you down sometime and it's better to laugh than cry. They can be so disappointing and frustrating but, when they are right it sure is fun.

A supply of JP's magic smoke

Cause sometimes you just can't figure it out and the only explanation is you did something to let the magic smoke out. (this happens mostly with fuel injection)

Good luck

Dave
type47
spare fan belt (or 2). drives the alternator.
bd1308
QUOTE (DNHunt @ Feb 16 2005, 08:18 AM)
A supply of JP's magic smoke

Cause sometimes you just can't figure it out and the only explanation is you did something to let the magic smoke out. (this happens mostly with fuel injection)

speaking of magic smoke, on which forum was the lucas jokes?
bd1308
i have a daily driver.....i have a full metric and SAE toolset, timing light, dwell meter, screwdriver set, all the books (haynes,pelican tech articles, etc.) duct tape, and a few flashlights all in the back trunk....I need it too. I've used AAA many times, saved my hide.
mharrison
Spare car to drive! I don't care how great your 914 is, you'll see somebody doing a project on here and decide you HAVE to do it.

Thus it begins.......
sgomes
Screw AAA. By the time you're don't with your "car that isn't a project" you'll need to sign up with AA.
scooter311
I've never been stranded...

Thusly, after saying that, I have cursed myself - so when I do get stranded, I'll have, in a neat soft-case toolbag in the front trunk:

Full set of metric and standard box wrenches
2 sets metric sockets, 3/8 and 1/4 drive
double-headed ratchet
1/4 inch driver handle
full set crescent wrenches
needle, flat, and regular-nose pliers
magnetic extendy-tip screwdriver with standard sockets in handle
2 different sparkplug sockets
3 lengths of 3/8 extensions
that screwdriver with the reversible shaft-thingy
small pastic case with different torx, allen, and screwdriver tips
metric allen wrench set
a roll of stainless saftey wire
a set of cutters
knife
scraper
WD40
rag
zip ties
duct tape
electrical tape
misc nuts, bolts, hardware and whatever little stuff fits in a peanut butter jar
I'm always adding to that list too

I know I've stuffed more things in there but those are the ones I remember.
At home I have 6 jackstands, an old 3.5 ton floor jack, and the most amazing thing anyone has ever seen- it's called a "Screwball" - it looks like a small upright pallet jack with a crank at the top and a set of arms in front that raise or lower as you crank. It's like 3 feet tall, and looks like it fell out of the 50s. I can raise the 914 almost 3 feet in the air with it effortlessy. Has anyone seen one before?

Also have a new large rollaround (taller than me) and a few mismatched cabinets filled with the usual gadgets gismos and doodads.
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (scooter311 @ Feb 16 2005, 08:13 AM)

magnetic extendy-tip screwdriver with standard sockets in handle

that screwdriver with the reversible shaft-thingy

I'm surprised you don't have the screw-jobbie with that flexible whatchamacallit at the end. biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, I knew I could count on y'all. I've said it before, but it's worth saying a million times. This forum is SOOO much better than any Jap Import forum I've ever been on. All they can do on there is insult you.

Looks like I'd better upgrade my AAA to Gold then.....

Cole monkeydance.gif
tat2dphreak
invest in B-12 chemtool and WD40... buy them by the case
1 set of GOOD metric wrenches
1 set of CHEAP metric wrenches
a set of flare-nut wrenches for the brakes
a little torch
a little fridge for the garage to fill with beer...
a list of 914 owners within driving distance to help you out...

oh, and maybe it's just me, but I have a small collection of calipers, I plan to rebuild them eventually, that's one part I want to keep good extras of.
CptTripps
QUOTE (wrpspddrvr @ Feb 16 2005, 11:28 AM)
Looks like I'd better upgrade my AAA to Gold then.....

My Grandparents have given me (and mow my wife) AAA Gold every year for Christmas since I turned 16. MUCH better than the standard, and not that much more. Pays for its self one time...and you'll use it.
bd1308
my mom asked me if i want to upgrade for the gold? WHat's the difference?
Flat VW
I have a foldable, three legged stool, an umbrella, snacks and a good book to read while waiting for Triple AAA! driving.gif slap.gif
vagabundo
. . . don't forget the Superglue for when the rearview mirror decides to self-prune from your windshield!
CptTripps
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 16 2005, 11:46 AM)
my mom asked me if i want to upgrade for the gold? WHat's the difference?

They'll tow you up to 150mi 4X a year for free. I think you get 50mi X2 with the standard one. You can also have them do things like make you keys and stuff for free. For the $50 extra, it's worth it...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.