Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: modifying stock seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
toon1
My car came with Recaro seats. They fit good but are real heavy so they are getting replaced. I've seen a ton of seat threads here but most are replacing the stock seats with something else.

I'm going back to the stock seats but I want to modify them

I'm leaning towards the "look" of the 911 and the Cayman seats.

I'm looking for ideas, so, If you have a favorite seat, of any kind or have modified a 914 seat please post up some pics.

thelogo
Would highly recommend against doin this , any other car it would be ok

But 914 s don't do well with anything other then own seats imho

Im 6-3 and just got a set of fully restored seats from my neighbor 300 $ steal of the century

And fit like a glove , nothing else really works better
boxsterfan
Some have increased the side bolsters slightly and added padding for under the butt. It's your car. Do what you want.
toon1
QUOTE(boxsterfan @ Apr 11 2015, 01:21 PM) *

Some have increased the side bolsters slightly and added padding for under the butt. It's your car. Do what you want.

This is what I'm looking to do. Would like to see some pics.
mepstein
Or buy these. They bolt right in. http://www.classiccarseats.com/Lemans-seats.php
Dave_Darling
Yup, the GTS Classics seats are fairly similar to the stock seats with extra bolsters, and either a separate (adjustable) headrest or none at all. I think there is a version with the attached headrest like the stock seat, as well?

We have members on the board who have removed the cover from the seats, used thick wire to set an outline of where they want the edge of the seat to be, built up the seat frame/core with fiberglass, then cut new padding and made new covers to fit.

It's a whole lot easier to write a check to GTS Classics.

Renegade Hybrids also sells (sold?) modified 914 seats. Check their website to see if they still do.

--DD
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2015, 02:12 PM) *

Or buy these. They bolt right in. http://www.classiccarseats.com/Lemans-seats.php

I have these as well. Very nice seats.
Madswede
I had my stock seats reupholstered with slightly bigger bolsters. Mike Wills knows the guy, he has had the same thing done on his car (I followed his lead). shades.gif

Click to view attachment

and

Click to view attachment
screenguy914
QUOTE(mepstein @ Apr 11 2015, 02:12 PM) *

My 914 floor is devoid of any factory seat hardware. How do the GTS seats simply bolt in? There are two female threads near each corner, approx. 14" apart (side to side). What's needed? I was about to fabricate custom mounts when I saw this thread. Don't need fore-aft adjustment.

The way the FG is constructed, there's not a lot of room for leg extension (6' tall) and back angle, esp. with a headrest attached.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Thanks,
Sherwood
tomrev
I love the GTS seats, but didn't want to drop $2K on a pair, so am using mod'ed stock seats. Very easy to add side bolsters with fiberglass, and have covers made to fit.Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Nice job !!
toon1
Spoke to an upholstery shop today,Told him what I wanted to do.

All he did was complain about having to do Porsche seats. He didn't seem very interested in doing my seats, even after the core was modded.
914werke
Ive had the same experience!
All he really had to say was it wasnt a job that was keen on doing and less so if he had to use a provided kit ...so Bring MONEY.
tomrev
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 11 2015, 03:42 PM) *

Ive had the same experience!
All he really had to say was it wasnt a job that was keen on doing and less so if he had to use a provided kit ...so Bring MONEY.

Or keep looking for a shop that actually wants to do your work!
JRust
Send them to the shop Madsweede & Mike Wills use. Wanting to send them a pair to have done sometime. Just haven't pulled the plug yet.
toon1
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 11 2015, 05:11 PM) *

Send them to the shop Madsweede & Mike Wills use. Wanting to send them a pair to have done sometime. Just haven't pulled the plug yet.

Is the shop in CA.?
Madswede
QUOTE(toon1 @ Apr 11 2015, 08:20 PM) *

Is the shop in CA.?

I'm pretty sure it's in Phoenix. Mike Wills is Moveqik on here. PM him, if he doesn't feel his ears burning and read this. He'll have the info.
toon1
QUOTE(Madswede @ Apr 11 2015, 07:30 PM) *

QUOTE(toon1 @ Apr 11 2015, 08:20 PM) *

Is the shop in CA.?

I'm pretty sure it's in Phoenix. Mike Wills is Moveqik on here. PM him, if he doesn't feel his ears burning and read this. He'll have the info.

I'll take a look for him.

Post up some more pics guy's., any pics of any seats, does not have to be Porsche.

again, I'm looking for ideas.

Chris914n6
If you don't like fiberglass...

cut your shape out of sheet aluminum, screw or rivet it to the fiberglass, then pad with foam and cover. Has the benefit of being relatively easy to pull in or push out.
lonewolfe
I have these seats in my car. They are modified 914 seats. I bought these from a guy in Socal who had two sets made and only used one set. The ones in the pictutre are from his car but mine are identical seats. Click to view attachment
mgp4591
QUOTE(tomrev @ Apr 11 2015, 04:36 PM) *

I love the GTS seats, but didn't want to drop $2K on a pair, so am using mod'ed stock seats. Very easy to add side bolsters with fiberglass, and have covers made to fit.Click to view attachment

Those are really sweet! wub.gif They've got a racy look but are they comfortable? I like the idea of modifying stock seats because they fit me pretty well to start off with. The seats modded with lower side bolsters tend to eat at my hip bones so a deeper side like these would work... idea.gif
toon1
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Apr 11 2015, 10:51 PM) *

I have these seats in my car. They are modified 914 seats. I bought these from a guy in Socal who had two sets made and only used one set. The ones in the pictutre are from his car but mine are identical seats. Click to view attachment

Those are nice! I like the way they look like the 911 seats under the headrest.

Thats the look I want. I don't know in I want so much side bolster. but they are close to what I want.

I'd really like to see how the top of the seat and the center cushion are attached.
mgp4591
QUOTE(toon1 @ Apr 12 2015, 01:38 AM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Apr 11 2015, 10:51 PM) *

Those are nice! I like the way they look like the 911 seats under the headrest.

Thats the look I want. I don't know in I want so much side bolster. but they are close to what I want.

I'd really like to see how the top of the seat and the center cushion are attached.

Make sure before you choose any seat to try it out- I saw some in another car at PMB last week and they looked great! Until I sat in them... ate at the sides of my butt- I wouldn't want to drive 5 miles in those, much less a cross country trip. mad.gif
mgp4591
QUOTE(tomrev @ Apr 11 2015, 04:36 PM) *

And who made your seat covers? Great job! smilie_pokal.gif
v82go
Hi
I just installed GT3 replica seats (ebay)

While not for everyone, they are perfect fit for my red-neck sports car.
MoveQik
Yeah, modified factory seats. I replaced the rubber insert that came with the '75 with a black tweed. WAY more comfortable! I am biased....but I don't think there is a better looking seat in the 914 than the factory one.
Cairo94507
Looks terrific. smilie_pokal.gif
tomrev
[quote name='mgp4591' date='Apr 12 2015, 12:41 AM' post='2173058']
[quote name='tomrev' post='2172888' date='Apr 11 2015, 04:36 PM']
[/quote]
And who made your seat covers? Great job! :trophy

A guy in Mexico. I just did the fiberglass on the sides, which was really easy, as I agree that the stock seats are nice, and fit the car. I just wanted a bit more of a bucket effect, and to get a little lower in the car, as I'm 6-1. Cool options everyone!
Alphaogre
These look great! I wish I would have thought of increasing the bolsters before I got them reupholstered.
MoveQik
QUOTE(toon1 @ Apr 11 2015, 07:20 PM) *

Is the shop in CA.?

The shop is here in AZ. For fun I am a dealer that sells classic Chevy interiors(it's what pays for the toys without getting in trouble with my wife shades.gif ). The guys did my seats as a favor. I can ask them how much to do a few pairs if I have the cores. If you are thinking it is a super cheap alternative, it isn't. They are hand forming the bolsters and stitching everything up from scratch. If there is enough interest I will ask them what they would charge. My biz - Happy Days Interiors
horizontally-opposed
Been toying with doing the unthinkable, and trading my GTS Le Mans seats (with heating elements in them) for a pair of great stock seats. Now with a young one, and a private airport to drive around on slowly, my 914's "third seat" and "three-across" seating has a certain appeal I can't access with bolstered seats. Wish I hadn't sold my stock seats, but bolsters were more important to me when I did.

The GTS seats do bolt right in, but I found it was easier to get the seats onto the stock rails with fewer bolts (you still use all of the bolts into the floor). I am not sure I love that. If I keep them, I plan to see what I need to do to get all of the bolts in.
worn
QUOTE(thelogo @ Apr 11 2015, 12:02 PM) *

Would highly recommend against doin this , any other car it would be ok

But 914 s don't do well with anything other then own seats imho

Im 6-3 and just got a set of fully restored seats from my neighbor 300 $ steal of the century

And fit like a glove , nothing else really works better

Don't know if I have photos, but it is easy to do cause the seats are glass. If you remove the fabric you can pull up the side bolsters. I did that to make an autocross seat cause I am not strong enough to hold my body in place, so wedging my butt into the seat with some torso support helps. With a minimal pad in the bottom it also lowers my helmet a tad, which is better. The beauty is you can start with a really ratty seat and even if there are cracks in the original fiberglass you can shape anything you want. So the cost for the original seat can be very low. The upholstery is very simple in principal, but I think I used an old miata seat cover for mine. The ankle biter thread shows some really nice work with fiberglass to make different shapes.
914_teener
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 12 2015, 08:48 AM) *

Yeah, modified factory seats. I replaced the rubber insert that came with the '75 with a black tweed. WAY more comfortable! I am biased....but I don't think there is a better looking seat in the 914 than the factory one.

Mike....didn't get to see much of your car in PS.

What seat belts did you use? Are they pinned behind the firewall with a solid bar?
raynekat
Click to view attachment

I'm getting a pair of these made up with a nice tartan plaid insert.
Not cheap, but they bolt right in and fit into the stock back pad recess.
MoveQik
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 13 2015, 11:21 AM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Apr 12 2015, 08:48 AM) *

Mike....didn't get to see much of your car in PS.

What seat belts did you use? Are they pinned behind the firewall with a solid bar?

They are Bell harnesses. I just used hoop bolt mounts and washers that came with them. They look cool but they are a PIA. I am trying to find some non-retractable old-school looking belts. I will probably just order a set from Seat Belt Planet.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.