Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fog Lights Power
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
74914LE
Need some advice on what to trouble shoot next. I am not getting any power to the fog lights in the front of the car. I have a confirmed ground at the lights. Power is getting to the relay under the dash. A known good relay is installed. (Checked it with the headlight motor). Power is getting through the fog light switch. Tried this with the headlights tuned on. The light inside the fog light knob is glowing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(74914LE @ Apr 11 2015, 06:32 PM) *

Need some advice on what to trouble shoot next. I am not getting any power to the fog lights in the front of the car. I have a confirmed ground at the lights. Power is getting to the relay under the dash. A known good relay is installed. (Checked it with the headlight motor). Power is getting through the fog light switch. Tried this with the headlights tuned on. The light inside the fog light knob is glowing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

remove the Fog light relay; lights on, fog light on (switch needs to light up); bridge a connection between 30 and 87 on the fog light receptacle. Check for lights. If no light check for voltage at the driver side light. The power wire at the lights is white with yellow strip.
74914LE
Jim,
Thank you for the help. I followed your instructions, and bridged 30 and 87. The Fog lights came on! The relay is good. (Changed it out with the one from the fresh air fan that was working). What next? I am beginning to suspect that it could have something to do with the High Beam cut off. I seem to recall that when the High Beams are on, that the Fog lights cut out. Thoughts?
jim_hoyland
Go back to the relays receptacle and test 85 and/or 86 for voltage with the multimeter. See what it takes to get voltage; fog light switch only, fly and lights, etc.
Edit* The trigger wire from the fog light switch is red/grey strip and should go to 85

The ground wire runs from 86 to the number 1 fuse, it's a white/blue striped wire. Fuse 1has 2 wires on one side; White wire for high beam, and white/blue strip for high beam indicator light. The other end of fuse 1 has a white/blue stripe wire that runs from 86 on the Fog Light Receptacle. If this wire is disconnected, that is your problem. If you ground that wire, the lights should work; other wise, the problem may be the red/grey between the switch and the receptacle.

Lastly, make sure the contacts are clean....

jim_hoyland
See new info: might be the white/ blue wire. I edited my last post after going over the wiring diagram.... smile.gif
74914LE
Was able to get back into trouble shooting today, and still cannot find the issue.

Completed-
1. Jumped 30 and 87 at the relay receptacle, and the Fog Lights come on. This indicates the ground at the light should be good, and the 87 wire is not shorted.

2. Verified that the Relay being used is a working relay. Cleaned and tightened the contacts to get a tight connection.

3. Verified the fuses in position 1 and 10 are well seated.

4. Verified connection on White/Blue in position 1.

5. Verified that high beams are working properly, and the indicator light in the Tack
is coming on and going off.

Does anyone know how to troubleshoot the position 85 and 86 at the relay? Clearly
something is causing the relay from not switching. Also how to troubleshoot the Fog and Headlight switches?

Thanks!
Mike Bellis
Take the white/blue wire off fuse 1 and ground it. If it will not light up, you are not getting power to the relay.

Haw corroded are the socket terminals?
white1975
fog lights only worked on low beam I don't remember witch wire to change I did it it in 1975
Mark Henry
QUOTE(white1975 @ Jun 7 2015, 02:15 AM) *

fog lights only worked on low beam I don't remember witch wire to change I did it it in 1975

agree.gif

Do you have you high beams on?
Only works with low beams in stock configuration.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.