Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: metal repros for fog light grills
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Member Vendors
Hydra
hi,
i'm having metal repros of the fog light grills made, but it will only be worth if i get more than 50 pairs made (roughly 50$ each side for painted ones and an extra 15$ for chromed ones).
anyone interested?
McMark
Need more info. How are they being made? CNC? Cast? What material? Steel? Aluminum? What's the expected turn around time? Is shipping included in the $50, or extra?
Aaron Cox
id be in for a set (l and R) for 65x2 chromed!
Hydra
here are the detail:

- they will be made out of cast aluminum.
- the cost will be 50$ each side plus shipping .
- an extra 15$ for chromed ones.
- non-chromed ones are primered.

and most importantly, i need to sell 50 pairs in the next few month....
SLKWrx
I'd be down for a set of chromed ones. Mine are pretty busted up.
Root_Werks
ALuminununum eh? I would be in for a set of primed ones.
larryp
OK, me too. Left and right, chromed.
JohnM
Interested-set, chrome
SirAndy
now if someone could redo the early style *steel* ones, i'd be in for a set ...

idea.gif Andy
markb
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Feb 18 2005, 10:53 PM)

idea.gif Andy

agree.gif
914werke
Id be down for a set of primer's rolleyes.gif
Aaron Cox
make it happen hydra smilie_pokal.gif
Aaron Cox
these have the fog openings right?????
boxstr
Is that why they call them "fog light grilles"?
CCLINSUNNYCAMP
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (boxstr @ Feb 19 2005, 07:37 PM)
Is that why they call them "fog light grilles"?
CCLINSUNNYCAMP

just making sure...i dont want horn grilles rolleyes.gif ohmy.gif
boxstr
Hydra I would like to know where the money is going to be sent, you have no location??
CCLINMAPQUEST
morgan
I need a set PM me

John
Rusty
I'm interested. I'd sure like to see a picture of the prototype. smile.gif
boxstr
A correspondence by another 914club person who was trying to purchase the 914 body parts, told me his location is Lebanon.
Not Oregon but Lebanon the country. Maybe they are having power outages??
CCLINPOWERUP
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (Hydra @ Feb 17 2005, 04:52 AM)
and most importantly, i need to sell 50 pairs in the next few month....

i'm interested in a pair.

you want us to front $6750, so i don't mind asking:

who are you?
where are you?
what prior experience do you have with cast aluminum parts?
will these be die-cast or sand-cast?
are you making the molds or do you have a pattern maker?
how will the parts be finished?
what kind of experience does the metal-finish shop have with plated aluminum parts ?
what is the espected quality of the chrome plate?
how long between the time you get the money until we get delivered parts?
when will we see photographs of prototypes and preproduction sample parts ?

i'm sure there are other questions that will come up in the thread.

i have no reason to doubt you, so please don't be offended, we're all just more than a little gunshy when someone comes up out of nowhere and says "send me money for this great part that has never been done in reproduction before."

we will be rabidly supportive of a vendor who can actually develop and deliver quality parts at reasonable prices. but we have learned to be careful with vendors, and i do not think it is unreasonable for us to be asking for a reasonable assurance that we'll actually get a quality product for the price we're asked to pay.
bondo
What alloy? I'd be interested in a bare set if it's an anodizable alloy. Quality would have to be top notch of course. smile.gif
rhodyguy
since this one got quiet i'll appologise for the hi jack now. for the casting metal, my guess would be T-6. getting all the fins to flow could be difficult. i wonder if they are one at a time casting the grills using an existing grill for the pattern. i worked in a non-ferous foundry for 5 years. pattern makers are a talented bunch. when they make patterns they have to account for the "shinkage" of the metal as it cools. i can't invision a permanent mold being cost effective for such a short run. lebanon? there'd be some shiping costs from that location.

k
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Mar 10 2005, 04:23 PM)
since this one got quiet i'll appologise for the hi jack now. for the casting metal, my guess would be T-6.

T-6 is a heat-treat, not an alloy :-) ...

most of the industrial cast parts i've seen have been 356 but those had a strength rather than a surface-finish requirement.

i actually think this would be a better application for good ol' pot metal (basically zinc...) and standard chrome plate. these are not stresed parts ...
rhodyguy
oops. "treated to t-6". the one kid feeding the coal and the other one pumping the bellows will be working overtime when this deal takes off.

k
Hydra
I'm back with good news (sorry for the delay, but with my major rustoration...)
Prototype is on the way , aluminum will be sand-cast, then hand buffed to mirror-like finish (labor here in lebanon is quite cheap, or should i say dirt-cheap) alloy will be 6000 series. the shop i'm working with has more than 50 years experience with aluminum casting, so the guy knows what he's doing.
Please note that i don't intend on being paid before the whole batch is ready and packed for shipping, so delivery will be a week from payment, i have a bank account in the US dedicated to paypal transactions
Most probably, the chrome plating idea will be dropped in favor of anodizing.

I hope i answered all of your questions.

Andy how are those different from the ones in the pic?
Hydra
Lastest update...
the sand casting idea will be dropped guys (too much inconsistency (sp) in the finished product)
i'll be switching to dye casting. (0.1 mm accuracy) boldblue.gif
Parts will all be anodized...
prices should stay the same...
need a week to ten days to show you the finished product, time for the mold to be done....
Thank you for your patience everyone.
Nick
stevenhaas
I will take a set in Chrome!!
william harris
So, with all the changes, are you still offering the chrome sets? If so, I'm up for a pair. Let us know.
Hydra
So, with all the changes, are you still offering the chrome sets? If so, I'm up for a pair. Let us know.

The parts will be polished then anodized, giving the same finish as chrome. anodized aluminum unlike chromed steel won't rust or flake. These parts will easily outlast your car.
If there are any questions please let me know.
Nick
Rusty
QUOTE (Hydra @ Apr 25 2005, 02:28 PM)
Lastest update...
the sand casting idea will be dropped guys (too much inconsistency (sp) in the finished product)
i'll be switching to dye casting. (0.1 mm accuracy) boldblue.gif
Parts will all be anodized...
prices should stay the same...
need a week to ten days to show you the finished product, time for the mold to be done....
Thank you for your patience everyone.
Nick

Nick,

Any luck on these grills?

-Lawrence
Gint
Certainly sounds good. Any update? Pics?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
CptTripps
If you are annodising, can they be done in Black too?

I'd be interested in a pair like that.
Aaron Cox
el bumpo! biggrin.gif
william harris
Yeah, like what's happening? lol2.gif
Hydra
Still trying to get that damn mold to work headbang.gif
It turned out to be much harder than previously thought, but i'm getting there... i hope.....I've invested WAY too much money to give up.
thank you all for your patience.
CptTripps: i'll see if the guy that's doing the anodizing can dye them black.
ratrustle
I'm in! wink.gif
redshift
I think we'd all pay good money for nice replacements.

M
BarberDave
smilie_pokal.gif

HYDRA
Last post July 1st. how about a update.
I'm in for a pair chrome or anodized!
Dave slap.gif
rhodyguy
i worked in a non-ferous foundry years ago. i knew this would be a very difficult casting to produce. the initial sand cast method would have been tough to get all of the vanes in the grill flow. the grills that were a complete casting would have been very labor instensive to clean up (remove parting line flash), and get a consistant finish to the metal. no doubt the p designers discovered this and that is why they opted to go platic injection.

k
Orange914x2
i'm interested in a set.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.