Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Issue blowing crankcase breather tube off?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BigFour1973
Pretext to this little story, car is running 108 MM pistons and a stroker crank. The breather box is a bug pack that feeds into the oil filler cap.

So last night driving 90 miles up to the high desert I arrived and noticed a small leak. I traced it back to the passenger side crankcase output that leads to the bug pack breather box. The breather tube blew off on the engine side so i placed it back on and tightened the hose clamp. Today it blew off again. What could be causing this? is it the cheap line that comes with the bug pack box?
SLITS
First, I would say you are developing high pressures in your crankcase that are not being relieved by the Bug Pack. Maybe the media is clogged.

It could be blowby.

It could be high sustained rpms.

That's the best I've got other than double clamp the hose or if it is swelled from contact with oil, replace it.
Jake Raby
If the hose is coming off, I'd remedy the cause of the extra crankcase pressures that are the root of the problem..
adding a bigger breather arrangement is a band aid, and nothing more.
stugray
Do a compression & bleed-down test.

If those show that you dont have a ring problem, then it must be your exhaust valve guides.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 12 2015, 12:27 PM) *

If those show that you dont have a ring problem, then it must be your exhaust valve guides.

And do it with the engine warm, else it'll not be accurate. Rings can seal cold and not hot.

Restrictive exhaust can also aggravate the situation, especially if the exhaust valve guides are trashed.

Also, the engine might simply be running too warm, over expanding and losing ring seal. What are the head temps?
jeffzehnder
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 12 2015, 04:44 PM) *

QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 12 2015, 12:27 PM) *

And do it with the engine warm, else it'll not be accurate. Rings can seal cold and not hot.

Restrictive exhaust can also aggravate the situation, especially if the exhaust valve guides are trashed.

Also, the engine might simply be running too warm, over expanding and losing ring seal. What are the head temps?

One obvious item to check is to make sure the vents are opening and the bellow are working...If things are hot this can also lead to this happening.
Woody
Get rid of the cheapo bugpack breather and get one with more volume that flows better. Tangerine Racing has one that would work. Also I agree do a leak down check.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.