Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front end Rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mblizzard
I am getting ready to start a front end rebuild. I purchased a set of control arms that had sway bar tabs to replace the bolt on ones I currently have. I purchased new ball joints, bushing, and tie rods. All of these were for the late model as mine is a 75.

I know there is a difference in the early and late ball joints but I started to wonder if there are differences in the early and late control arms. If so how do you tell?

This is what I have to go back on the car.

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
All the -4 front control arms are the same until 75. U tabs were deleted for cost savings.
bdstone914
I have seen A arms that did not have the welded tab like that to locate the ball joint. It was part of the arm. Also have a 74 with no sway bar tabs. Eirger way they are all interchangeable.
Mblizzard
Thanks guys! Will look at doing the swap next weekend.
914werke
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 12 2015, 01:03 PM) *

All the -4 front control arms are the same until 75.

Disagree.
As was already commented, two types: welded & stamped locating tang.
My sense after tearing down dozens of cars is welded shows up on early cars the stamped on later.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 13 2015, 11:48 AM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 12 2015, 01:03 PM) *

All the -4 front control arms are the same until 75.

Disagree.
As was already commented, two types: welded & stamped locating tang.
My sense after tearing down dozens of cars is welded shows up on early cars the stamped on later.

Ugh.....

I guess I will have to see if the late ball joints fit when the get here.
Mblizzard
After play with my replacement control arms I can't seem to be able to remove the torsion bars. Is there a trick! I thought they would slide out. They slide but won't go me completely out.
Mblizzard
Seems like the late ball joints fit fine. Got to love quality parts.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.