Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Add oil before starting?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
My six conversion started with the purchase several years ago of an engine from a wrecked 1984 Carerra. The car had low mileage and good leak down numbers, but it has been stored most of the time on an engine stand while I found a '72 roller and did all of the necessary welding.

Now it is almost ready to mount. I rebuilt a 901 tranny and just installed the clutch.

One idea I have is pouring oil into the inlet hose and using the starter to turn the motor over with the spark plugs out. No electrics to anything but the starter. The idea is to prelubricate things before actually firing it up. The starter would be used to turn the oil pump. Another idea would be to find an opening into the oil gallery and pump oil in with some sort of external pump. Worth the trouble?

As always any advice would be welcome. I have to say I am getting psyched!
r_towle
Get it in the car, fill the oil tank, remove the plugs like you said and keep turning until you see oil pressure. Then install the plugs and Fire it up.
rgalla9146
Amen.
worn
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2015, 02:51 PM) *

Get it in the car, fill the oil tank, remove the plugs like you said and keep turning until you see oil pressure. Then install the plugs and Fire it up.

I think you will see that I am running short of delayed gratification. I figured that for the price I could buy a tig welder OR an oil tank, and if I bought the first I could panel beat the latter. Tank isn't done yet. Made the buck and shaped the metal to match original in aluminum, but getting the seat time in with the TIG takes time and some courage. Not ready to weld tank metal yet. But I have an empty tranny case and a starter, so you see, I can in theory turn the motor over without starting it yet.

But as usual Rich, I have to agree... chair.gif
Steve
Instead of removing the plugs, why not just disconnect the fuel pump and distributor wire? Run a switch on the starter and turn the motor over that way?
76-914
QUOTE(Steve @ Apr 13 2015, 12:51 PM) *

Instead of removing the plugs, why not just disconnect the fuel pump and distributor wire? Run a switch on the starter and turn the motor over that way?

Resistance from the piston compression is unnecessary and will exert unnecessary forces upon the starter.
r_towle
QUOTE(worn @ Apr 13 2015, 12:43 PM) *

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 12 2015, 02:51 PM) *

I think you will see that I am running short of delayed gratification. I figured that for the price I could buy a tig welder OR an oil tank, and if I bought the first I could panel beat the latter. Tank isn't done yet. Made the buck and shaped the metal to match original in aluminum, but getting the seat time in with the TIG takes time and some courage. Not ready to weld tank metal yet. But I have an empty tranny case and a starter, so you see, I can in theory turn the motor over without starting it yet.

But as usual Rich, I have to agree... chair.gif

See if Rick has enough time to weld it up for you so you know it's done right....learn on something less critical.

Rich
rgalla9146
QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2015, 03:57 PM) *

Resistance from the piston compression is unnecessary and will exert unnecessary forces upon the starter.

to say nothing of the bearings !
Steve
QUOTE(rgalla9146 @ Apr 13 2015, 04:55 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Apr 13 2015, 03:57 PM) *

to say nothing of the bearings !

We are talking about an oil tank full of oil and just getting oil pressure up enough before allowing the engine to fire and start? Would having plugs in the engine put extra pressure on the engine bearings? There is also concern about the engine sucking in crap from the spark plug holes.
I'm not worried about the starter or the battery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.