Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR Tour Options
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
Mike D.
Don & Tina Cameron and Erin & I just got back from a recon mission for the WCR! piratenanner.gif
Don and I drove an amazing 4 hour loop that has some great 914 roads. Your shoulders are going to ache when we're done. driving.gif
Then we spent some time in wine country just west of Paso Robles and picked out a varitey of different wineries to try. That also happens to be on some great 914 roads.

We need to get an approximate number for the wine tour* so we can call ahead and let them know that we are coming. The tour will include 3-4 wineries and we have the option of a lunch at one of them. There are tasting fees at each winery (waived if you make a purchase) and the lunch would be in the $20 range. Tell me here if there will be 2 people in your car. Please let us know ASAP if you are interested.

For the long tour we are stopping for lunch at a little diner and will give them a heads up as well.

This is for Friday. Saturday will have a more relaxing drive up the coast, with a couple of photo stops on the way back down.

The Long Tour is the drive up to Fort Hunter Liggett. The time on the map is incorrect...
We will have the drivers meeting at 830 and leave at 9am. You will be back with plenty of time to make the Castle Tour @ 7pm.

Click to view attachment

The winery tour drivers meeting will be a 9:14 smile.gif and will be leaving the hotel around 10am. There will be a stop on the way for a group photo on hwy46. And we will arrive at the first winery around 11am (Hey, it's afternoon somewhere, right)
*Notice this says "winery tour", know your limits, spit your wine if you are driving. smile.gif
don-6
We did it all! Both are great choices. Paso Robles has some of the best California wineries, as well as some amazing 914 roads. Which ever tour you choose, you are in for a great time. Please give us a heads up, so we can make arrangements, to make this a truly amazing 914 WCR experience. aktion035.gif

Thanks, don-6
mgp4591
I'll volunteer to ride with whomever wants to drive wherever in their 914... shades.gif
jim_hoyland
Great recon work.... smile.gif I'd prefer to drive and eat vs drive and taste....
rick 918-S
Is this a Friday or Saturday event?
don-6
This is the Friday event. There will also be an easy Saturday afternoon drive.

Don
Mike Bellis
How do we vote for both?
76-914
BRB, I need to ask my wife which one I want to attend. shades.gif
Mike Bellis
Can you provide more information about each tour?
Mike D.
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 13 2015, 08:01 AM) *

Can you provide more information about each tour?

What, You don't like surprises? poke.gif shades.gif

Ok, good idea. I will post maps above today. Thanks biggrin.gif
Andyrew
So there is another day specifically for driving correct? If so I vote Wine. If this stops us from being able to drive the 4 hr road... Well that makes things REALLY hard.

Also what is the length of the road? Some of the "thirsty" cars might have an issue with 4 straight hard hours...
dlkawashima
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 13 2015, 08:34 AM) *

Also what is the length of the road? Some of the "thirsty" cars might have an issue with 4 straight hard hours...

I'm going to make a wild guess and say it's 140 miles.
Andyrew
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Apr 13 2015, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 13 2015, 08:34 AM) *

I'm going to make a wild guess and say it's 140 miles.

Ahh I see it now biggrin.gif
914werke
DRIVE! Oh and Track Day!!
rick 918-S
Ok, So Friday night we already booked a tour at the castle.
Chris914n6
Nevada Classic car plates have a 5,000 mile limit to be smog check exempt. I'm going to blow it all in one long weekend piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
don-6
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 13 2015, 10:39 AM) *

Rick, we are planning to get back to the Hotel, with plenty of time to rest up, and grab dinner before your Hearst Castle tour.

Don
914_teener
Wanna taste the world's best vino.

.....before our water runs out.
914werke
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 13 2015, 11:02 AM) *

Then come to WA biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Apr 13 2015, 12:40 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 13 2015, 11:02 AM) *

Then come to WA biggrin.gif

Hmmm......WCR next year ? The Merryhill winery was great; are there more up that road ?
Mike D.
icon_bump.gif
Mike Bellis
I'm down for the long tour. I spent some time at Fort Hunter and the Mission next door is cool too. Nice ride through the twisties. Check your speed when you go through the Army reservation...
Maltese Falcon
If you're cruising through Cambria, decent bbq at the Main Street Grill.
Street parking only...but worth a short walk chowtime.gif
Marty
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 13 2015, 10:47 PM) *

Marty

I'm going up to Cambria for 2 days prior to WCR, I'll try it
rick 918-S
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 13 2015, 12:39 PM) *

Ok, then in that case Sandy wants the wine tour. We always drive way more miles than any sane person should. A little variety never hurt.
Mike D.
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 14 2015, 09:07 AM) *

Ok, then in that case Sandy wants the wine tour. We always drive way more miles than any sane person should. A little variety never hurt.

Don't worry Rick, there are plenty of scenic views on the winery tour and again on the Sat. drive. smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Apr 14 2015, 08:11 AM) *

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 13 2015, 10:47 PM) *

Marty

I'm going up to Cambria for 2 days prior to WCR, I'll try it

Hey Jim, my wife and I will be shopping there Thursday. Maybe we can hook up for lunch at the BBQ joint that Marty suggested.
hydroliftin
Hey Mike, sign me up for the 4-hour drive. Also, I believe you have to have proof of insurance and current registration to pass through Ft. Hunter Ligget, so folks should make sure their papers are up to date.
don-6
QUOTE(hydroliftin @ Apr 14 2015, 03:31 PM) *

Hey Mike, sign me up for the 4-hour drive. Also, I believe you have to have proof of insurance and current registration to pass through Ft. Hunter Ligget, so folks should make sure their papers are up to date.

Yes, please make sure that you have current registration, proof of insurance, and a valid ID, including for a passenger in you vehicle. Also follow all posted speed limits while on the base.

Mike D and I drove through last Sunday, and there was no one at the check points. It seems that they have moved inward to a much tighter and more secure perimeter.
We still need to be mindful of military regulations while on their property.

Thanks, Don
hndyhrr
I used to live on Fort Hunter Liggett, Yes please be mindful of the posted speed limits as the mp's are young and full of themselves, also If you see a posted sign that says tank training DON"T GO THERE! Great place to drive! The Mission is beautiful and there used to be a restaurant up the hill from Mission.
Mike Bellis
To clarify the Fort Hunter Liggett area... The main road we will travel on is Army property. We will pass through an entrance gate to the reservation. There are no guards at the first entrance. If we are going on the active part of the base, there is a guard shack and armed police there. If you travel through this gate you will need registration, insurance and ID cars for anyone traveling on base.

We can travel through the reservation, visit the Mission and leave with out passing the active guard shack. While on the reservation mind your speed. The Army police patrol the entire reservation. If you get pulled over, you will need all the documentation mentioned above. There is a very low tolerance for speeders. There is also a 10mph speed limit while passing troops on the side of the road. You will also see the speed limit jump up/down quickly near the active part of the base (after the green bridge). Watch the road signs.

For the most part through the reservation will be uneventful. Just be aware of where you are. Do not have drugs or weapons in your car on the reservation.

I have witnessed drivers being arrested at the guard shack for not having ID or because of a warrant. Make sure your paperwork is in order.

Assuming we are coming in from the coast, after the green bridge, a left turn will take us to the Mission. The active guard shack will be on our right hand side as we approach the Mission. There is plenty of parking at the Mission and it's a cool place to check out. A right turn after the bridge will take us out of the base toward Bradley via Jolon Road. At Jolon rd. is the Eastern gate; no guards here either. From the gate near the coast to the East gate, watch your speed.
Mike D.
Thanks Mike, We will make sure everybody is VERY aware.

The Mission is undergoing restoration and is covered with scaffolding and those green cloth construction fences. Doesn't make for a great picture. We had planned on skipping because of the construction and the 356 Club will be there having their lunch.
We can stop for a bit I suppose, our lunch stop is only another 5-10 min. down the road.
914_teener
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Apr 14 2015, 09:07 AM) *

I am in the same boat as Rick.

Wife is not gonna want to go on another long drive the next day.

Wine tour it is.
Andyrew
With the Hurst castle tour scheduled for later that day i think getting the wifes buzzed right before that sounds like a blast! And i know thats what she will want to do anyways..... So wine tour for us as well smile.gif
Mike D.
Awe, don't blame your wives, you know teeners are becoming part of the "wine and cheese" crowd! You want your due! smile.gif he he he...
SirAndy
+2 for the wine tour. I'm a wine and cheese kinda guy ...
piratenanner.gif
Mike D.
icon_bump.gif
WCR Folks - please vote! Or you'll get an email. slap.gif
hndyhrr
my teener will not be with me is it ok to follow in the rav 4?
Mike D.
QUOTE(hndyhrr @ Apr 17 2015, 02:44 PM) *

my teener will not be with me is it ok to follow in the rav 4?

Yes, but you have to carry extra gas and parts, spares and the camera crew. biggrin.gif
hndyhrr
Load me up!
biggrin.gif
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 15 2015, 04:56 PM) *

+2 for the wine tour. I'm a wine and cheese kinda guy ...
piratenanner.gif

Any preferences ?

914_teener
Yes.....

Car: Ivory White

Wine Box: Cab

Cheese:....Fresh Bread instead.
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 15 2015, 08:02 AM) *

With the Hurst castle tour scheduled for later that day i think getting the wifes buzzed right before that sounds like a blast! And i know thats what she will want to do anyways..... So wine tour for us as well smile.gif

agree.gif

Debbie and I just voted for the wine tour.
Mike Bellis
My wife doen't want either. 5 hours in a 914 is not fun for her and she's not a big drinker.

I think her and my son will putz around on the beach or shop for junk in boutique stores...

Looks like I have an empty seat for 5 hours... driving.gif
Mike D.
So the winery tour lunch stop at Justin will be more of a "free for all". We were trying to get seated together with an abbreviated menu and they jacked UP the prices.... dry.gif Group price, bla bla bla...
When we get there you can order food, taste wine, get cheese and salami from the fridge and sit on the patio. Taste before, taste after, mill about, eat a sandwich from a gas station smile.gif whatever. Just enjoy yourself.
914_teener
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 23 2015, 03:18 PM) *

So the winery tour lunch stop at Justin will be more of a "free for all". We were trying to get seated together with an abbreviated menu and they jacked UP the prices.... dry.gif Group price, bla bla bla...
When we get there you can order food, taste wine, get cheese and salami from the fridge and sit on the patio. Taste before, taste after, mill about, eat a sandwich from a gas station smile.gif whatever. Just enjoy yourself.

Can we bring out own food Mike or do you know? They won.t throw us out if we go to our cars and get our own stuff. confused24.gif
Mike D.
QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 23 2015, 05:31 PM) *

Can we bring out own food Mike or do you know? They won.t throw us out if we go to our cars and get our own stuff. confused24.gif

No they will not throw you out. smile.gif They have a beautiful patio and you can order wine by the glass. I'm sure people bring picnics in all the time. In fact one of our options (working on it) is to have food delivered from a place in Paso Robles. The manager there suggested that. We'll keep you posted.
914_teener
QUOTE(Mike D. @ Apr 23 2015, 08:39 PM) *

QUOTE(914_teener @ Apr 23 2015, 05:31 PM) *

No they will not throw you out. smile.gif They have a beautiful patio and you can order wine by the glass. I'm sure people bring picnics in all the time. In fact one of our options (working on it) is to have food delivered from a place in Paso Robles. The manager there suggested that. We'll keep you posted.

Great, sounds good. Wife says that is a really nice winery there....nice drive up there.

Thanks Mike.
Mike D.
icon_bump.gif
One last time to try for a head count-ish!
914_teener
Me. + wife ...

So two
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.