Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Momo Steering Wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OllieG
I know it's been discussed a fair bit so bear with me…

Just got a lovely 6-conv shipped from the US - I'm in the process of getting it road-legal here in the UK.

The car has no horn..(is that legal in the US?) Anyway I've found the wires to install the horns themselves under the bumper - black/yellow wire and a brown (ground) wire right?

OK, next problem is the car has a momo steering wheel and horn-push. The horn push has two connectors at the back. One for the ground-wire which is clearly visible coming through the mono adaptor hub…but no sign of the ring wire for the second connector.

So tell me if I'm wrong, but I need to remove the steering wheel and locate the ring wire…right? Is the wire itself obvious?…what should I be looking for?…colour?

Thanks all.
Mike Bellis
Many Momo hubs are missing the ring. I used a stock ring from a 924 steering wheel to bolt to the Momo hub.

BTW, is is NOT legal to drive a car without a horn in the US. There is not much enforcement. In California for example the state stopped annual inspections decades ago. Now you will only get a citation if you have an over zealous cop with a grudge. In other states with inspections, you will not be allowed to drive it until it's fixed.
Dave_Darling
Solid brown wire? Always a ground, unless someone has been "creatively" re-wiring. Sounds like this is a 72+ car? Those have a different setup than the 70-71 cars for the horn.

There should be a single wire coming up the steering column. When that wire gets grounded, it trips the relay, sending power to the horn. So what you need to do is to set it up so that the wire gets grounded when you press the horn button.

Verify that grounding the wire makes the horn sound with the key on. If so, then all you have to do is hook the wire up to one of the connectors on the horn button, and a grounded wire to the other.

--DD
OllieG
Thanks guys…I'll take the steering wheel off and see if I can find the wire.. Provided I find it, all 'should' be well.
Mike Bellis
You are looking for something similar to this.

Click to view attachment

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PORSCHE-924-AND-92...B-/390864328390
OllieG
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 13 2015, 09:11 PM) *

How about this? It's from a Beetle/T2 Camper…I'll ask the seller on ebay UK what diameter it is.

IPB Image
GregAmy
QUOTE(OllieG @ Apr 14 2015, 03:25 PM) *
How about this? It's from a Beetle/T2 Camper…I'll ask the seller on ebay UK what diameter it is.

Is that a new part? I could use one of those for my '74 2L...
OllieG
QUOTE(GregAmy @ Apr 14 2015, 10:02 PM) *

QUOTE(OllieG @ Apr 14 2015, 03:25 PM) *

Is that a new part? I could use one of those for my '74 2L...

Yep, it's a new part - 'looks' like it will work..
Mike Bellis
There is a difference in the connector location verses the cancel tab. As the turn signals try to cancel after a turn, they may not cancel or may cancel early depending on steering wheel rotation. The wire connector will locate the tab since there is a hole in the hub for it. The tab should be oriented like the Porsche unit.
GeorgeRud
I'd bet that Porsche used the VW horn ring, but without seeing them next to each other, couldn't say for sure. The brown wire does in fact connect the ground to the horn circuit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.