Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Started the Six today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ChrisFoley
I've had this Motormeister engine for nearly a year now. I fired it up for the first time this morning, and it sounds pretty good. It was raining outside so I didn't take it for a ride. No windshield in the car yet either.
Now I get to pull the thing just to fix the F'ing alternator that they screwed up during assembly. And I have to fix the GD Vellios tank as well. At least I got to use the 9 quarts of oil for a minute or two, lol.
ChrisReale
Cool about starting it up, not cool about alt/Vellios issues. driving.gif
krk
So I'm apparently dealing with a dead alternator on my 6 as well. You're dropping the motor?

btw, I love the porsche manuals description -- there's apparently only 4 steps to removing the alternator. One of those steps is 'remove the carbs, the linkage and all the other stuff".

Once company goes this weekend, I'll get a chance to look at it.

kim.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(krk @ Jun 4 2003, 11:27 PM)
So I'm apparently dealing with a dead alternator on my 6 as well. You're dropping the motor?

btw, I love the porsche manuals description -- there's apparently only 4 steps to removing the alternator. One of those steps is 'remove the carbs, the linkage and all the other stuff".

Yeah, same number of steps to remove the alt. by dropping the motor. One of them is remove all engine and transmission connections. rolleyes.gif
jdogg
Chris, have you got any pics of it yet? I want to see your flares in paint!
ChrisFoley
Here's one:
ChrisFoley
and another:
Andyrew
Puuuurdy!! I like that look. Man I just got done swaping a drivers side 4 lug control arm with a 5 lug vented rotor/spaced stock brakes (YA BABY!). I'll post pictures a little later. How did you do those flares? And what monster sized tires you runnin in the rear? 245/45/16? thnks..
jdogg
Nice, Chris. Very nice.
si2t3m
Wow, that's some serious rubber & wheels on the rear (are those 8's or 9's?)

Flares look awesome!

Marc-André
ChrisFoley
205/55 up front on 6x16 and 245/45 in the rear on 8x16. Bridgestone Potenza S-03 tires mounted, all bought from Wheel Enhancement. 265's would easily fit in the rear without the spacers, on 9" wheels with a bit more backspacing. 275's would probably even fit on the right offset wheels.

The flares were done by cutting off the QPs near the edges, reshaping with a bit of new metal added, and smoothing them out in a power hammer. Then butt welding them back on, a bit of hammer and dolly work and finished with a shrinking disk sort of like the one Ghia John Kelly makes. There is about 2 1/2" additional space inside.
Mark Henry
I think I have to clean the dream whip out of my pants!

wub.gif
Gint
Nice Chris! I love the flares!
Aaron Cox
i like those flares! did you do the john kelly method? or did you do this yourself?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(acox914 @ Jun 7 2003, 01:41 PM)
i like those flares! did you do the john kelly method? or did you do this yourself?

Read my last post for a brief synopsis of my technique. It is not the "John Kelly" method, but he would understand exactly what I did, and yes, I did all the metal work myself. I have done this on several cars, and have no trouble creating them in widths up to 5".

Thank you all for the compliments! smile.gif
tod914
car is looking great. seemless blend on the flares. nice job beer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.