Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Floor pans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
got914?
Im starting to clean up my floor to see what i need to replace and it seems as though i have an inner and outer floor.
Is this the way its suppose to be or is it just a single ?
Once i get the rest of the tar off the floor i can see it better.
914Sixer
The floor is single metal. Tar sheets can make it appear to be two layers. If water got between the floor and the tar you could have the top layer of the metal rusted off.
SirAndy
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 13 2015, 06:13 PM) *
The floor is single metal. Tar sheets can make it appear to be two layers. If water got between the floor and the tar you could have the top layer of the metal rusted off.

agree.gif
madmax914
Any tips on the easiest way to remove the Tar layer? I'm in the process myself. The areas water got under it comes up with a putty knife, the others are a little more difficult. I was going to use heat but I don't want to make a mess if there is and easier way.
Perry Kiehl Clone
a couple wood chisels of different widths is what I use
SirAndy
Heat gun and putty knife. Don't get it too hot or it will melt or catch fire.
Just warm enough to become pliable and it will come off in large chunks.

smash.gif
cn2800
QUOTE(madmax914 @ Apr 14 2015, 11:14 AM) *

Any tips on the easiest way to remove the Tar layer? I'm in the process myself. The areas water got under it comes up with a putty knife, the others are a little more difficult. I was going to use heat but I don't want to make a mess if there is and easier way.

After a couple of afternoons scraping more skin off of my knuckles than tar off of the pans, I figured out that by setting up my heat gun under the car and heating the metal rather than the tar mats, the stuff came off fairly easily and cleanly.
Kansas 914
On a cold day in the garage I used an air chisel - 30 minutes of work and no flames!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.