Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuchs Center Cap Redoux
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MAD914
There was a post back in Feb/15 with a "real" Porsche center cap on a 2.0 liter wheel that really looked great. I always wanted that look, and couldn't believe it was a coincidence that the "stock" center cap fit the recess perfectly (the retaining mechanism - ring or prongs - doesn't fit). Although, I've been told that the 3-prong type can be "modified" to work. I may give that a try, but I thought I'd go cheap first.

Someone wanted to know how to get this look, so this is what I came up with. It's a hack job for sure, and I'm sure the purists are going to look at me like I painted a moustache on the Mona Lisa, but here goes.

I installed 20mm spacers on the front, so that the grease cup on the hub is recessed below the surface of the wheel. I ordered them from machine7.com (in England). Of course, I had to get the 60mm wheel bolts too. Oddly, the heads for these bolts are 17mm, not 19mm like stock, so I had to order a 2nd set of bolt head covers from Otis/RAD.

Click to view attachment

And this . . .

Click to view attachment

I ordered the "cheapie" plastic center caps from CIP1.com. They were on sale for about $16 each . . .

Click to view attachment

Then I sliced off the plastic clippy-things with a cutting wheel on a Dremel . . .

Click to view attachment

Then, after roughing up the mating surfaces with a little sandpaper, I ran a bead of RTV around the wheel hub, and stuck the thing on. I then laid the wheel down, covered the cap with a towel, and put a heavy bottle jack on it while the sealant cured.

As my wife says, "It's far away from great, but great from far away." Actually, it looks pretty good from about 3 feet away.

I wanted to use the "real" metal center caps, but was afraid that their weight would make them more likely to come loose - as they are really just glued-on. Also, the caps I wanted to use are the black ones with the hand-painted crest, and cost $85-$100 each. If one of them fell off, I might well drive off the freeway to follow it - so it's really a safety issue.

This is an experiment, and if these plastic ones stay put, I may spend the $ on the "real" ones and give it a shot.

Waddya think?
76-914
I wouldn't beat your chops for that. It's all about appearances. I can appreciate it.
wes
I like them!
rgolia
agree.gif good effort
Big Len
They look damn good.
bigkensteele
I like it too. Plus, I think that spacers on the front make the wheel fill out the well better on a car with a four bolt suspension, so you killed two birds. Nice work!
altitude411
mad.gif

Click to view attachment

... just kidding, they look great. beerchug.gif
Larmo63
The caps look great, I have just never been a fan of painted backgrounds on four lug 2.0 Fuchs wheels.
JRust
They look good. Although if they are glued I would keep Mike Wills away evilgrin.gif
jack20
I like the look. Are your wheels chrome or polished? You bought the 4x130x20?
Kansas 914
QUOTE(JRust @ Apr 14 2015, 06:27 PM) *

They look good. Although if they are glued I would keep Mike Wills away evilgrin.gif

agree.gif av-943.gif
MAD914
QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 15 2015, 07:54 AM) *

I like the look. Are your wheels chrome or polished? You bought the 4x130x20?

Yep - Part No. 403.230.20 1 on the site. The wheels are polished, not chrome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.