Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Blue wire
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thieuster
I've been working on the body for the last few days. And all that rubbing and sanding must have had an effect on the wiring... There's a blue wire hanging loose under the dash.

Somehow, I think it's not as the Dr. Ing. had in mind... looks like an aftermarket one.

Menno

IPB Image

SLITS
Check it with a VOM to see if it's hot. If not, turn the key on and see if it's hot.

With the bullet connector, it is possibly power for a radio or some other ancillary device.
stugray
If its Hot, then - "Bad Designer!" (I know it does no good, you have to catch them in the act).

In my business, if it can be a source of power, it should have sockets instead of pins.
Less chance of shorting against something.
naro914
Blue Wire? Wow....that's rare...It plugs into the optional passenger seat eject button hidden under the dash!

Nice find!!
somd914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Apr 15 2015, 05:43 PM) *

Blue Wire? Wow....that's rare...It plugs into the optional passenger seat eject button hidden under the dash!

Nice find!!

Hmmm, potentially adds many thousands to the value of the car, not many left the factory that way drooley.gif

Seriously, concur with all the above that it is after factory and check to see if it's hot. Also wondering if you had a power antenna at some point.
Series9
Solid blue wire is almost ALWAYS the field circuit for the alternator (in VWs and Porsches). However, that wire is the wrong color blue and has the wrong terminator.

smile.gif

Ground it and see what happens...... wink.gif
1972 914 2.0
On wiring diagram that I have here (1973) the only blue wire I can find come out of the fuel/combi gauge and goes to the relay board. Oh and it's light blue. This one is definitely an add-on for something auxiliary possibly radio.

As said before, check the power and try to trace it.

Cheers
wndsnd
If it is on a very rare Creamsicle it is the power supply for the Antitechnology Package. Very Cool. Be sure to post lots of pictures in the classics area.
r_towle
Stereo wire, needs power.
wndsnd
Or maybe that..
euro911
Whatever you do, DON'T CUT THE BLUE WIRE! laugh.gif

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.