Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which Distributor should I be using?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I have a 1975 Porsche 914 2.0L (4cyl) engine with twin Weber 40 carbs. I have a distributor #022 905 205F which by chart shows that distributor is for a 1.7L engine. The chart recommends different numbered distributors for the 2.0L (039 905 205 or ....205A). The two distributors show different RPM ranges etc., Do I need to find a Distributor for a 2.0L or is there a good aftermarket distributor you recommend with Centrifugal Advance or, which I plan to upgrade to Pertronix Ignition. Thanks
QUOTE(91422.7 @ Apr 15 2015, 03:15 PM) *

I have a 1975 Porsche 914 2.0L (4cyl) engine with twin Weber 40 carbs. I have a distributor #022 905 205F which by chart shows that distributor is for a 1.7L engine. The chart recommends different numbered distributors for the 2.0L (039 905 205 or ....205A). The two distributors show different RPM ranges etc., Do I need to find a Distributor for a 2.0L or is there a good aftermarket distributor you recommend with Centrifugal Advance or, which I plan to upgrade to Pertronix Ignition. Thanks

.....Is the Empi or Dansk Distributors recommended?
914werke
Suggest finding an OE dizzy of a 1.8L or if you wanna go big $, Mallory
stugray
Got my Mallory unilite from Tangerine racing.

excellent dizzy, requires "minor persuasion" of the engine tins with a mallet to fit.
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 15 2015, 03:48 PM) *

excellent dizzy, requires "minor persuasion" of the engine tins with a mallet to fit.

....Thanks for the recommendations, I will start looking into it! It seamed like the 1.7L distributor wouldn't seat all the way down in the hole for some reason, making it impossible for the rotor to engage!
r_towle
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 15 2015, 06:48 PM) *

Do you have a picture of that?
I am thinking that while I have the tin off, maybe I could do a neater job of it and make it look like I meant it....

Rich
Elliot Cannon
I've had this one on my car for the last four years. The cooling tin also required a bit of massaging. So far it's been great. Pertronics D180810. Summit Racing has them I think.
stugray
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 15 2015, 08:30 PM) *

I've had this one on my car for the last four years. The cooling tin also required a bit of massaging. So far it's been great. Pertronics D180810. Summit Racing has them I think.

I looked at the Flamethrower II briefly but the notes said that it woldnt fit the tins, but I suspect it just needed some persuasion as well.
It allows the advance curve to be updated with a USB cable and a laptop.
I also didnt want to mess with as those are not allowed by vintage while the mallory is old-school mech only advance.
maf914
QUOTE(stugray @ Apr 15 2015, 09:13 PM) *

I looked at the Flamethrower II briefly but the notes said that it woldnt fit the tins, but I suspect it just needed some persuasion as well.
It allows the advance curve to be updated with a USB cable and a laptop.
I also didnt want to mess with as those are not allowed by vintage while the mallory is old-school mech only advance.

Actually Mallory offers the Unilite with or without vacuum advance.

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Mallory-Distr...e-p/4754101.htm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.