Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Daily Driver?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eric Taylor
I'm looking for a car that's a good daily driver, that I can get in and drive every day back and forth from campus to my apartment. I've got an audi right now, but it get's horriable gas milage, and is just like every other audi really expensive to repair and not something that I can work on. So my thinking is that If I could find a nice rust free car for around $5000, with reciepts and maybe new paint that it would make a good daily driver. The pluses are that I already know a lot about how to work on them, and i'm deffinatly not afraid to do thing's on it. I've already got a good solid mostly rust free restoration canidate that I will continue to work on, however it's gona take a lot of years, and money to make it what I want to to be. So what do you guys think? Is this fesiable or am I off my rocker?
Eric

Oh yeah, I should mention that I'll probably be making a couple 100 mile drives a month in it, that might cause a problem, but let me know what you guys think
vortrex
I did 70 miles per day 5x a week for 1.5 years in bay area traffic. it was my only car. no problems for me. I think with a car this old it comes down to luck of the draw. I also did SF to seattle non-stop.
JWest
I daily drive mine. But I do keep it in a garage at night.
Aaron Cox
i daily drive my car.....

~ 200 - 300 miles a week.... no problems. 50 series tires make 5th gear fun on the freeways..... rolleyes.gif

oh...pilot lights piss off other drivers.... i gotta aim them down more.....
mattillac
buy a roller then spend the rest of your money on a Raby motor laugh.gif
TonyAKAVW
I drive my 914 daily. I only have to commute about 3 miles, so I don't end up driving it a lot during the week. I bought it last summer for $1000. I ahve worked on it a bit, but for the most part I haven't done any major work aside from some recent stuff to prepare for the West Coast Classic. I still need to get a paint job, but so far I've put less than $1000 into it (not including the parts from my previous 914). So you can definitely get a decent 914 that makes a good daily driver for fairly cheap. I got very lucky with my car, I don't think its very common these days to get such a good deal. Scour the ads daily and jump on a good deal (after looking at the car). I talked to the seller of my car the day the ad was placed. Had I not Im sure I would have missed it.

I also have a project car in the garage which is going to take me a long time and a lot of money to finish, but for now this car is a lot of fun and there are a lot of quick projects that I have done on it. Its nice to be able to drive something you just worked on.

-Tony
mike_the_man
It can be done. I plan to use mine as a daily driver this summer. Although, I planned to do that the last two summers as well, and it never really panned. A 30 year old car is likely to break down, but ya never know. Plus, I'm not sure how much cheaper a 914 would be to maintain than an Audi. I own both, and they seem to be pretty comparable. The 914 may be a bit cheaper.

For $5000 you could buy a nice Honda with air conditioning that would get 50mpg, and never break down. But who would want that? Not me! smile.gif

Dave_Darling
For $5000, I would suggest getting a $2000 Civic and putting $3000 down on a Raby motor! biggrin.gif

--DD
jr91472
definitly possible. But just know that it will take sometime to work all the bugs and kinks out, don't get discouraged. These cars aren't that complicated (with the help of this board). If you fix things right the first time, it will pay off.

good luck

PS: find a garage to keep her in. Most of them have had a hard enough life already.
Andyrew
for 5k, buy a crx, strip it, take a mustang chassis, put a sbc and corvette suspension and drive train... paint it black and drive it daily...

Yup. That would be my daily drive honda...

that or a 500hp turbo honda.. Gota respect the real builders here... laugh.gif

I drove mine to and from school 3 days out of the week all last year...

Lots of problems, but heck, I fixed most of em..

Its all about haveing a nice engine.. If you dont have that, then its not pleasureful...
Aaron Cox
5k? if i were you id get a datsun 510..... with a rotary..... and tubbed out flares....and a cage....and...and...

im dreaming again wub.gif

get some new ultra reliable car.....
Andyrew
Get yourself a perfect 944.. 86 or later.

You'll love it.

5k should get you a really nice one.

Maybe a mustang Gt or such. 90-95...

A nice late model camaro..

Heck even a suby!!!

just dont get a honda.....

Heres some ebay examples..

Fiero
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4526116418&rd=1

BMW
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4526949339&rd=1

3000gt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4528744199&rd=1

mustang gt
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4528704790&rd=1

be a pimp
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4527408619&rd=1

rx7 with nozz
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4527948805&rd=1

94 camaro v8 in need of some bodywork..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4527916600&rd=1

97 camaro v6
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4527703589&rd=1

300 zx t tops
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4527597306&rd=1

Oh ya.. you could get a honda....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...4528726469&rd=1
Dave_Darling
Only get a 944 if you want to set aside a $1000 budget for scheduled maintenance.

Hondas are cheap and generally reliable if not abused. A cheap Civic will get you to class and back and will still be cheap. If you're looking for reliable transportation while you put your 914 back together, a Honda is tough to beat.

Besides, the notion that you're driving a Civic should be motivation to get you out there working on the 914 more often!!! lol2.gif

...I doubt that I'd trust any of those cars to be reliable...

--DD
Eric Taylor
The h word. I've thought long and hard about something japenese, but I just can't do it, they are so BORING. Nothing to drive, less power than a 1.7 and it looks like every other ricer boy out their. However it is very true, it's hard to deny the reliability of it. Those little sewing machines never break, and they are cheap to repair. Anyway, it's a tough call when looking for something fun that fit's this description. A jetta is a good car and the one that would ultimatly make the most sense, but a 914 would be so much better, and so much more fun, and I could fix it when it broke and I would have another 914! biggrin.gif . Anyway, I suppose that it would come down to reciepts for the car, and what was done to it. If it had a reciept proven motor build then it would probably be a good car. Who know's keep the ideas coming! smile.gif
Eric
redshift
How many miles are you getting per gallon?

Carbs on a 2.0 aren't much better than a bigblock vette...

wink.gif

M
anthony
The question is how much hassle do you want to introduce into your life. A 914 might be fine as a daily driver if you want to spend at least 1 weekend a month working on a car.

I bought my first new car because after 8 years of ownership with a '77 BMW 320i I was tired of having an old car. It was reliable and only left me stranded once in 8 years but it was a pain in the ass. I was always doing something to that car to keep it going.

The other issue is that buying a nice, clean, rust free 914 and then turning it into a daily driver is doing a disservice to the car. A car like that should be reserved for weekend drives on twisty roads. Letting it get beat by the sun all day and dinged up in the schools parking lot and driving it in the rain is just killing the car earlier than necessary. Buy a beater with a good engine if that's what you want to do.

redshift
Anthony, are you trying to tell me something?

rolleyes.gif

M
campbellcj
I drove a 73 2.0 "almost daily" for a couple of years. At that time however my commute was very short - 3 miles each way - but I even did some client visits, errands etc. in that car. It worked out fine considering that there was no A/C or creature comforts. The biggest issue is rain...which sucks in a 914 driver comfort-wise, not to mention you can practically see the car rusting right before your eyes.

Maybe I have a lead foot but I never got much better mileage in the old Porsches than other cars I've had (except the Jetta Diesel but that's another story.) I drive an Audi now and get around 21mpg using heavy boost and A/C always on, while my current 914/6 conversion most likely gets about 15mpg even when babied. (Never really cared or tried to measure it.)
xsboost90
"Only get a 944 if you want to set aside a $1000 budget for scheduled maintenance."

i did a complete belt job w/ seals on the 924s and a 944, each for only around $150. but i did the work myself. I guess if you have your car worked on it could be a grand, but any car could. Maintenance on a 944 is no harder than any other honda or whatever, just no one wants to try. I wouldnt suggest a 914 as a daily driver mainly because of the age and leak factor, and besides, at that age you dont want to chance messing up another teener in traffic on a daily basis. I will drive mine most the summer, but im constantly wrenching on it, broken or not.

nebreitling
i've done the daily driver thing with my 914. worked okay for about 10-12 months -- keep in mind, though, i was working on it about one full saturday per month. definitely it can be a hassle. i'd buy the honda, or a little import pickup (useful to have around).

spend your time and energy getting your current 914 into running condition, instead of spreading yourself thin between restoring one 914 and keeping another one on the road.
martinef1963
Wow - I feel like I've grown up in this forum and can finally put my two cents worth into a thread - I feel comfortable on the subject.

I have a 1996 Honda Civic, I bought it used in 98 and have only had to change the tires twice, routine maintenance - oil change, filters, spark plugs, wires every two tune ups (regardless), distributor, and rotor. Oh, did change the pads every 40K and rotors (front twice).

The car has driven me all overe western Europe and now resides in Miami FL, 138,000 miles on original clutch, almost forgot did change the timing belt - because I wanted to avoid something bad from happening.

Now, I too have a 72 914, 1.9 (BBK), new paint job, countless $$$$ spent on this/that, and the other, countless man hours spent on her to keep her going, then again I like everything to be PERFECT.

It's up to you, but if you are strapped and your time is priceless go with the Civic, if not buy the Porsche she'll always have time for you. wavey.gif
AlexO
I've tried the "reliable daily driver" thing with my Miata. Its ok. You can bet I'd trade it in an instant to have the pain and hassle of a daily teener again.
--Alex
Brando
I've been using my 914 as a daily deutschebag for as long as I've had it. Only had two events that left it dead for a day. First was when the lines on my remote oil cooler broke, second was when my ECU came unplugged. As it's been said, if yours has a great engine you can drive the hell out of it. I was lucky enough to get one that has a great engine.

Although it can get costly. I've spent nothing in terms of maintainance. Only things I have bought thus far have been for addons or upgrades. I'll be doing my first 'fix' today, welding in a new console for the trunk hinge. Possibly an ignition switch this weekend. The car has survived on it's original 1.8 engine for 30 years without problems.

I guess i got the lucky straw. *knocks on wood* smile.gif Your experience may differ. If you want a daily driver 914, buy a stock 2.0L, go with the AFM setup from a late model 1.8 and drive the thing under 4k rpms for the rest of your life. It'll last forever -- granted your engine shelves dont rust out lol2.gif
Mueller
Once legally registered, a radio is installed and when it's not raining, I plan on using my 914 as a daily driver...

reliability shouldn't be an issue...comfort might come into play for the days that I don't feel like driving it....100+ miles a day...some of that is stop-n-go traffic headbang.gif

a few of my other vehicles are automatic which makes the commute a little nicer...........

Brett W
I drove my car for 2 years ona daily basis. It was the only car I had. Drove it to Atlanta several times, up to Perry Kiehl's place, Nashville, etc. Had no heat or defrost and no sound deadening. I loved it. Had its share of small issues but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. When I wrecked it I was bummed.

Found a 1990 Civic Si for 240$. THis thing was in great shape. No holes, tears, stains on the interior, 15 years worth of dings on the body, but I wet sanded the whole car and it now looks great. It had 193K on it at the time. I put a valve in it and three bearings in the tranny and promptly drove it across the country to Durango Colorado, fully loaded. Since i moved back here have put a radiator and another engine in. (blew orgininal motor and 203K, she used a lot of oil and I didn't watch the level.) I have all of the parts for a turbo motor sitting on my coffee tablewaiting for me to finish this teener. I added some springs from an Accord wagon and 16x7 inch wheels. Put a radio in it and I am very happy with this car. I drive the hell out of it. It handles great, gets 28-30mpg in the city and 35-40 on the highway (running 80+). Its a hatch so I can pack it full of stuff.

After living with a 914 for 2 years I figured everything else would be BORING. This honda isn't a 914 but I can drive it for 9 hours straight and hear when I get out, plus I can fit three bikes in it and still have room for a hitchhiker (if she is hot). It handles much better than I expected a shit box to handle. I am very happy with my Rice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.