914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JeffBowlsby
Yeah right. For you Ghia fans:

http://www.oldbug.com/rodbuster.htm

horizontally-opposed
Plain awesome.

Nice find!
Mueller
I'd be more impressed if the superchargers had been mirrored versions instead of the drive being on the same side of the supercharger! smile.gif

j/k....cool build, lots of time and money for sure!
bigkensteele
I remember that car from back in the day. Incredibly impressive engineering and fabrication mixed with horrendous taste.
Mueller
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 15 2015, 05:55 PM) *

I remember that car from back in the day. Incredibly impressive engineering and fabrication mixed with horrendous taste.

This....

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

No mention of it every running or driving?!

Woody
How do you cool it?
bigkensteele
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 15 2015, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Apr 15 2015, 05:55 PM) *

This....

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!

No mention of it every running or driving?!

It has been so long ago, probably sometime between '90 and '92 when I had my bug and subscribed to all the VW rags. I don't recall if any of the magazines indicated that they had a chance to drive the car. I am pretty sure that I saw it in Hot VWs or VW Trends.

It was a big deal back then because the build was so over the top compared to what anybody else was doing with VWs. Coddington was coming on the scene and rich dudes who grew up in the '50s and '60s finally had the kind of coin to build these outrageous hot rods that completely changed the scene. But nobody ever thought to build a VW in that manner. Until this car, it was Empi wheels, baby tornado mirrors, wing window deletes and a dropped front end. Nobody was spending more than $20k to do a custom VW because there is no way they would ever get back half of what they spent. Even in 1990 dollars, this car had to cost between 50 and 100 large to do unless the owner found some chimpanzees skilled in CNC.

Oddly, I remember liking it back then. I think that it might have been solid red or blue and far more tasteful back in the day. While I still appreciate the craftsmanship, creativity and quality, I can't help but wonder why they decided (apparently recently) to go with the current paint scheme or interior setup. It had to cost a lot of money to "restore" the car - what not modernize it to some degree?
Mike Bellis
I remember that car too. It is very dated at this point. Very specific late 80's look. This will still look like shit in another 20 years. Unlike some of the old Barris customs that are still cool 50 years later.
euro911
Way over the top for me. I'd only be interested in having the motor aktion035.gif
Chris H.
I think I still have the Hot VW's with the rodbuster in it. They re-did that thing a couple of times too. Never figured out why they didn't change the Thunderbird wheels. How about that unusable 3" tv?
76-914
barf.gif What an abomination.
JamesM
Are those inboard brakes on the rear?

Not sure the over-drilling and polish are really going to help the stopping performance much.
euro911
A friend in my scout troop (back in the late 60's) had a '58 Karman Ghia convertible that had a small Jusdon supercharger on it. I believe the stock motors in '58 were only 36HP sad.gif
horizontally-opposed
Don't disagree that the decisions regarding taste have aged badly, but this is a cool concept. There is a twin-supercharged 911 somewhere in California. I've only seen a photo, but the engine bay was fantastic with the big cooling can and mirrored Eaton superchargers slung to either side.

Drove a supercharged 993 years ago, and man did that work. Still one of the best air-cooled engines I ever tried.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.