Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scheels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
OllieG
Here's a couple of old Scheel seats out of my recently purchased 6 conversion - yep they're in need of some TLC but I was wanting to find out a bit more about them before I dive in and get them re-upholstered.

The one on the left is really sun-bleached, says 'Scheel Mann' on the badge. It's wider than the black one and more comfortable - it was the driver's seat.

The black one on the right just says 'Scheel' on the badge. The fabric is different to the other and in better condition generally. This one is super narrow and also feels shorter in the back. Not sure whether I'll use it as it's not particularly comfortable.

Both were on tilt and slider mechanisms and were pretty much seized in place as the runners were so tight. I had to hammer them forward to be able to access the bolts to remove them.

So what's the deal with Scheels? I thought they were lightweight racing seats(?) but they're probably heavier than the stock seats I have in my other 914. What age are they and where might they have come from?…were they just an aftermarket seat or were they used as stock seats in other cars? Are they valuable and what fabrics/leathers do folks get them restored with?

Questions questions.…

Any and all insights welcome. Thanks.

IPB Image

IPB Image
ConeDodger
70's gold. I have seen these go for big money. Those need help though. Period correct aftermarket. Not sure what else you are looking for...
brant
I sold a pair that I had ran for 15 years
they are worth money..
you will loose some leg room if your tall

the inner frame will crack (tube frame) from pushing yourself out of the car on the bolster. I had to have mine welded twice and reupholstered twice.

really great seats though
and kinda fit the stock back pad

there was a konig version and a scheel version
different upholstery, but the same basic seat as each other.
Larmo63
Try posting them on 911S Registry for big money.

You may be surprised what the market will bear.
914Sixer
Looks like you have one of each version. The one on the right appears to be the 914 one and the one on the left is 911/356 version. I ran into this years ago. Seats have to be properly spaced to fit on 914 frames. Set seats level on the floor and put them side by side. See IF they have different back angles. 914 side is more straight up, 911 side will be tilted back.
GeorgeRud
Definitely a nice find! I had one in my 914 back in the 70s (when I could actually fit in it!), and it's now residing in another member's 914-6. I think it's the best seat to fit in a 914 and bolts right up to the factory sliders without adapters.
r_towle
Sell them to pay for the restoration.
dangrouche
here are my before and after pics of my Koenigs, well worth keeping; in 2014, these cost $1,200 USD to recover from the fabric to Mercedes vinyl
wes
The gray and black looks great!
Brian_Boss
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 16 2015, 07:28 PM) *

Looks like you have one of each version. The one on the right appears to be the 914 one and the one on the left is 911/356 version. I ran into this years ago. Seats have to be properly spaced to fit on 914 frames. Set seats level on the floor and put them side by side. See IF they have different back angles. 914 side is more straight up, 911 side will be tilted back.

That's what I thought at first glance but now I think they are both the 914 version but the one on the left has its internal frame bent such that it resembles the model 300 (the ones the RGruppe guys pay crazy money for).

The 300's have a subtle bulge in the side bolsters in addition to the more laid back angle of the seat back.

IPB Image
OllieG
QUOTE(Brian_Boss @ Apr 17 2015, 05:01 PM) *

QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 16 2015, 07:28 PM) *

That's what I thought at first glance but now I think they are both the 914 version but the one on the left has its internal frame bent such that it resembles the model 300 (the ones the RGruppe guys pay crazy money for).

The 300's have a subtle bulge in the side bolsters in addition to the more laid back angle of the seat back.

Hmm, I've seen pics of the 300s and you're right, neither of these have bulges down the sides…but they do feel very different to sit in. Yep, the one on the left is wider and feels flatter in the back, longer and less curved than the one on the right.. Obviously the cushion arrangement in the backrests is different between the two as are the badges. The frames from what I can see are pretty similar..Were there different options for the Scheel 914 seats?..and why would one be badged 'SCHEEL MANN' and the other just 'SCHEEL'?..could that be a way to date them?

Thanks for all the input guys..

IPB Image
IPB Image
larryM

[/quote]
.. why would one be badged 'SCHEEL MANN' and the other just 'SCHEEL'?..could that be a way to date them?
[/quote]

the "badge" in right picture is like my original 1971 era Scheel as purchased in Germany

the left pic is a later model - i briefly had a 911 Scheel Mann with that later badge - it would not fit my 914 (cost me $$$ - i sold it for $200 less than i paid)

they ship by BULK size - not weight - EXPENSIVE

check this - $600 Scheel

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.