Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OK, I've gotta ask.....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
gfg3
So my '75 that I picked up about a month ago has developed the ticking sound of a valve that seems to need adjustment. I checked everything else I could think of: plugs are all OK and set in their seats, no apparent exhaust leak or cracked header etc. So that means I'll probably need to fiddle with the valves.

Since there doesn't appear to be anyone in my area (Roanoke area of Virginia) who claims to know anything about our beasts, it looks like I may have to tackle the valve adjustment process myself. I've read the various threads and have the various manuals, which leads to my question: Is valve adjustment something I can really do myself? The books all make it seem absurdly complicated.

I'm fairly handy mechanically - I've got a TBird in pieces in my garage right now and have played with drag and hill climb cars during my mis-spent youth - but before I trailer my car up to Northern VA or NC to someone who really knows what they're doing I gotta know if this valve adjustment thing is doable in a standard garage. I'd really rather do it myself if possible.

Help.....

George

type47
You can do it! ... and should do it ... Access to the area for valve adjust is very limited so be prepared to protect your knuckles. Do yourself a favor and try the Cap'n's method of valve adjustment. Greetings from Northern VA ...
wndsnd
Here is a second for the Captains method.
SirAndy
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 17 2015, 02:20 PM) *
Do yourself a favor and try the Cap'n's method of valve adjustment.

agree.gif
Dave_Darling
Access can be challenging for the home mechanic. I find that my best shot at most of the valves is reaching forward along the heat exchanger with one hand, and reaching in from the front with the other hand. While lying on my side next to the car. I have the one rear wheel off to make for slightly less obstruction.

I use a stubby flat-blade screwdriver, a deep-offset box end wrench, and a screwdriver with a 90-degree bend in it (actually, a ratcheting offset screwdriver!) on the adjusting lugs.

--DD
era vulgaris
Once you do it once, you'll wonder why you ever worried about it. EZ-PZ lemon squeezy!
I learned how on rear engined VW's before I owned a 914. Since you don't know any other 914 owners, maybe you know someone with a Beetle, Ghia, Thing, etc. If so, ask if they can show you how on theirs. It's the same procedure, just with the engine flipped 180 degrees and way worse access on the 914. Also, make sure you know what your valve lash should be for your engine.
euro911
If you get frustrated whilst in the midst of the task, you can always drop the exhaust system to give you better access. Of course it makes the whole job a bit more involved, but it definitely makes the adjustment procedure more enjoyable.
Hine62
These videos helped me:

Type IV valve adjustment 1

Type IV valve adjustment 2

I've done this a few times now and it really isn't that hard. Go for it!

hine62
green914
You can do it aktion035.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Hine62 @ Apr 18 2015, 04:09 AM) *

These videos helped me:

Type IV valve adjustment 1

One thing I've noticed very early on is that he is saying you should back off the adjustment every time. I disagree; I believe you should check them and only adjust the ones that are out of adjustment. It's pretty important to have an idea if the clearances on any one valve are consistently getting larger or smaller. If so, that can indicate a serious problem that you need to address.

--DD
gfg3
Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I downloaded the Cap'n's instructions and they don't look too daunting, so I may actually try this. This week I've scheduled myself to try to breath life into my TBird project's engine after about 5 yrs and a complete rebuild, but once that's done I'll move on to the teener.

One thing I do have to check though is that the PO upgraded the 1.8 to 2.0 specs. I'm not sure what that means exactly, and whether what he did affected the valve settings, but I do have all his documentation so I'll do some homework before I try tackling this.

Thanks again and hi from sunny southern VA....spring has finally sprung!

George

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.