Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift Rod Linkage Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BeatNavy
1. On a side-shift transmission ('72 car converted to side shift), it appears one must remove or at least raise the engine to get the front shift rod out and replace, correct? Trying to figure out how much stomach I have for that on a beautiful weekend I could be driving.gif ...

AND

2. To install the side shift console plastic cover on the console it looks like I have to remove the rear shift rod, correct? Looks like I have to disconnect coupler at front, disconnect at console, move back from firewall, then forward and out the bushing on the console. So much for a 30 second "feel good" job... dry.gif

ChrisFoley
Correct on both.
If you don't have the rubber bellows on the console cover you can put a split in the sleeve and work it over the shift rod without pulling the rod.
BeatNavy
Thanks, Chris. On question 1, is it possible to raise the engine high enough easily to get the shift rod under the engine support bar?
ChrisFoley
I'm pretty sure Ed does it that way sometimes but I think its better to support the engine and remove the bar.
cary
Thanks Gents .............

Just the info I was looking for. Working on my 4-5 shift bind. Might need to do this.

I'm with Chris. Support the engine, drop the engine bar out of the way.

I guess I'd never attempted to pull the rod with the engine is place. Chris should the rod come completely your firewall bushing? Or will I need to R & R.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 12 2016, 09:34 AM) *

Just the info I was looking for. Working on my 4-5 shift bind. Might need to do this.

I guess I'd never attempted to pull the rod with the engine is place. Chris should the rod come completely your firewall bushing? Or will I need to R & R.

Installing the firewall bushing doesn't require removing the rod from the tunnel.
If the old bushing isn't already split at the flange you can cut it with a knife so the flange falls off.
Then the new bearing can be riveted to the firewall.
Or you can undo the rod at the front and slide it forward into the tunnel while the old bushing is being removed.
cary
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 12 2016, 07:05 AM) *

Installing the firewall bushing doesn't require removing the rod from the tunnel.
If the old bushing isn't already split at the flange you can cut it with a knife so the flange falls off.
Or you can undo the rod at the front and slide it forward into the tunnel while the old bushing is being removed.

Sorry, I didn't provide enough info. I already have your firewall bushing installed.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(cary @ Apr 12 2016, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 12 2016, 07:05 AM) *

Sorry, I didn't provide enough info. I already have your firewall bushing installed.

Oh, do you want to know if my bearing needs to be removed in order to remove the tunnel rod?
The answer is no.
Chris Pincetich
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Apr 18 2015, 09:59 AM) *

To install the side shift console plastic cover on the console it looks like I have to remove the rear shift rod, correct? Looks like I have to disconnect coupler at front, disconnect at console, move back from firewall, then forward and out the bushing on the console. So much for a 30 second "feel good" job... dry.gif

I just installed my new console plastic cover. One allen wrench, and about 5 minutes of work on the shift rod. The cone screws ensure it goes back together just as it was. I spent just as long getting the cover strap correct! biggrin.gif
Good luck! beerchug.gif
TheCabinetmaker
If a side shift mount bar was part of the side shift install, the rod should just slide out to the front.
cary
What Curt said.
After I removed Chris's removable firewall bearing it slid right out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.