Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hoisting New Sails
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Flat VW
I am looking to replace my sail panel material.pirate.gif

What adhesive does one use? wacko.gif

What kind of "prep work" is needed before reaffixing new material? sawzall-smiley.gif

I am looking to keep this car "stock", is "stock material" still around? burnout.gif

TIA to all who may reply. w00t.gif
Porsche Rescue
Scrape/sand the old glue enough to get rid of any lumps that might show through. Use 3M Super Trim Adhesive #08090 (aerosol can). Follow directions on the can. You will need to mask/paper area because you spray on both the car and back of the vinyl. If you are only doing the sides you need to remove the bright trim and the weather strip and metal channel on the front edge. If your doing the top too you need to remove the roll bar pad which can be a pain.

I'm told Pelican has the material. Craig at Camp914.com also has the correct stuff. Can't remember the price but not too bad, pre-cut.

edit: just looked at Camp914.com: $15 2 piece/$20 3 piece including shipping
Eric_Shea
John,

Try this thread in the "Classics" area.

I did this last fall. Very happy with the adhesive and the results.
Porsche Rescue
Not fair Eric.........I'm calling Passport again tomorrow. If you did everything with as much care as the sail vinyl installation the car should be a work of art.
Eric_Shea
Hey, hey... don't get all misty eyed. It's still just a car.

No Passport. We just got a fresh 8" here. I'm thinking about take'n her out for a salty hillclimb to Alta and back! driving.gif w00t.gif

I'm riding with you at WCC05 BTW (if'n I can make it...)
Porsche Rescue
See you there..........if the car ever gets here.
Flat VW
Third piece? confused24.gif Donde (where)?

Thanks Eric, P Rescue, et al...
Flat VW
Duh, top of the targa bar. headbang.gif

I guess I have not had the top off in a while with all the rain we have had here. flag.gif
Eric_Shea
I think the Camp914 pieces are the best price out there. Mr. Craig says he researched the pattern as well (if I recall my reading).

Good luck. PM me if you have any questions before digging in.

Hey Jim... It's the 17th (but I'm sure you know that). Any update from the boys? I'm waiting for them to call before I pack those wheels in there.
Flat VW
Thanks Eric,

I did not realize you had "written the book" on the subject. pray.gif

Hey, you could save me a lot of time and effort by just coming over here and doing it for me. smash.gif

Oh, but then I would not have the"pride of doing the job myself", would I?idea.gif

OVERATED! screwy.gif
Eric_Shea
Send me a ticket... biggrin.gif
Trekkor
I made my own from marine grade vinyl in white. Most people either don't like it or don't notice it. w00t.gif

KT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.