Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ford GT prototype with some Porsche content
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Maltese Falcon
On a recent trip to the Silver State, I dropped by the Caroll Shelby Museum / HQ and noticed number 1 Ford GT that was the test mule for the 2005 production cars.
Most eye catching were the 930 style cv joints in the drive train. Supercharged v8 puts out north of 500 hp. Many of these gt's by now have even been tweeked higher.
The cv joints are not 100% identical to the 930, but their overall dimension are almost spot on.
MartyClick to view attachment Click to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Weird that they run hex bolts and lock washers. No safety wire either.

Most of the HiPo 930 CV vendors sell 3/8" socket head bolts, mostly for off road.

I love these units I'm running from RCV. I don't think I could ever break them.
http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-deta...spx?sku=SI-15RF

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
My thought is you get more torque on the bolt using hex head vs allen head. Is that correct?
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 19 2015, 05:51 AM) *

My thought is you get more torque on the bolt using hex head vs allen head. Is that correct?

Possibly, but these mostly stay tight due to bolt stretch & serrated/lock washers. It's hard to see but getting anything but an open end wrench on that hex head would be difficult.

I also find that most lock washers available today are crap. I don't trust anything unless it comes from ARP.
914forme
I can only guess why, copy something that is a success. 930 CV will hold un godly amounts of power. Can be made lighter, stronger, and even be high angle. They are the Darling and not "Dave" of the off road racing crowd. So I could see why they might have been duplicated for a Ford production vehicle, or prototype.

As for safety wire, no need, its a test mule. As for the bolts, bad idea, but they must have had enough room for a thin deep socket. I can se a little wear on the boot clamp where it looks like a socket might have come in contact.
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 18 2015, 11:15 PM) *

Weird that they run hex bolts and lock washers. No safety wire either.

Most of the HiPo 930 CV vendors sell 3/8" socket head bolts, mostly for off road.

I love these units I'm running from RCV. I don't think I could ever break them.
http://www.rcvperformance.com/product-deta...spx?sku=SI-15RF

Click to view attachment

Mike, I was looking at other Off-road suppliers and the Lobro race-spec 930 cv caught my eye. These rcv's look Bomb !
What do you think of 300m axles?
I use my broken sway-away axles in my shop for header finishing tools headbang.gif
Marty
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Apr 19 2015, 10:37 AM) *

Mike, I was looking at other Off-road suppliers and the Lobro race-spec 930 cv caught my eye. These rcv's look Bomb !
What do you think of 300m axles?
I use my broken sway-away axles in my shop for header finishing tools headbang.gif
Marty

I have no experience with 300M axles. I'm running chromoly units from Pacific Customs. They have the best pricing. http://www.pacificcustoms.com/porsche-930-...moly-axles.html The also sell individual axles for around $120. I needed 2 different lengths for my Boxster transaxles.

At my HP level, the 300M is overkill. I don't think I could bend or break the chromoly units.

The main this about this CV joint; You must use sliding axles since the center does not plunge like a standard CV. They run 90° to the CV face and paralelle with the axle. Plunging CV's have angled grooves.
EdwardBlume
I got a spirited ride in an FGT and it was a real torque monster....
SirAndy
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 19 2015, 08:52 AM) *
They are the Darling and not "Dave" of the off road racing crowd.

lol-2.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.