Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transponder mounting location
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Jetsetsurfshop
Hey Everyone,
Doing a timed event and looking for a good mounting location for my transponder. It looks like most people mount it in the from passenger wheel well. I thing on George's Chump car we didn't mount it there. (Can't remember where though)
Any track proven mounting locations out there?
Thanks as always.
driving.gif
campbellcj
Mine is in the left front wheel well behind (inboard of) the strut tube. It's the older hardwired AMB type and the wire routing was cleaner from that location. Be sure to check the rules on allowable positions, as some organizations have restrictions.
Jetsetsurfshop
I looked at that spot, but on the passenger side of the car.
Mine is the wireless kind so I guess I could put it just about anywhere. It would be nice to reach it without removing the tire though.

campbellcj
QUOTE(Jetsetsurfshop @ Apr 19 2015, 03:30 PM) *

I looked at that spot, but on the passenger side of the car.
Mine is the wireless kind so I guess I could put it just about anywhere. It would be nice to reach it without removing the tire though.

True, with rechargeables you have more positioning flexibility but need ease of access. If it won't be permanently installed you could simply zip-tie it to the license plate frame or just about anywhere secure. Just remember it needs to have line-of-sight to the ground and also not be somewhere that gets super hot or pummeled by debris.

Check the timing sheets right away after the first session to confirm it's working right.

Have fun and keep the shiny side up!
naro914
Papa Smurfs is wired and mounted on the outside of the chassis behind the fiberglass bumper.(if you take the bumper off, the metal front facing part of the chassis where the bumper mounts) Doesn't need line of site, just needs no metal between it and the ground. Been fine for 9 years now..
campbellcj
Good point. Not line of sight as they are RF based I believe, not optical/infrared. There's a sensor wire buried under the track pavement. You just have to make sure not to put it somewhere that will block/interfere with the signal.
brant
Except the front bumper is likely carnage in an incident and you are going to incur the exrta damage $.
naro914
fair enough but been OK for 9 years now.... so where would you mount it?

Wheel well is a bad idea because all the crap from the tracks will eat it alive, at least the ones here in the southeast with all the sand.
ThePaintedMan
That's why I decided to use the passenger floorboard. I already had "drain holes" biggrin.gif drilled so putting a couple more in was no biggie. In Chumpcar, they use rechargeable transponders, and since it's $500+ to buy one of my own, I wanted a location that would be easy to pop it in and out but without a whole lot of hassle. That being said, a pretty stock 1.8 was never going to come down to a photo-finish, so mounting it close to the front bumper wasn't really a consideration.

I would consider buying one one day that is permanently wired into the car, but I'm not sure what the future of the car is - most organizations use the AMB transponders, but it would suck to buy one and then it isn't used in another series.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.