Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tangerine Carb Linkage install...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SKL1
For those of you who have already installed it- putting the linkage in my '73 2.0 with Weber 40's.

Do you have the pulleys towards front or rear of carbs? Assume it doesn't really matter which side has master pulley and which has the slave pulley. Seems like the cable length would work better towards front just not sure of clearance of #4 by the coil etc.

Sure looks like it will be better than the cross bar linkage I was always screwing with...

TIA
mramber
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 19 2015, 03:45 PM) *

For those of you who have already installed it- putting the linkage in my '73 2.0 with Weber 40's.

Do you have the pulleys towards front or rear of carbs? Assume it doesn't really matter which side has master pulley and which has the slave pulley. Seems like the cable length would work better towards front just not sure of clearance of #4 by the coil etc.

Sure looks like it will be better than the cross bar linkage I was always screwing with...

TIA

I put mine in a month ago and it works great!!! I have the master pulley on the passenger side rear, which Chris says is the hardest location to reach. I did this because if I put the pulleys on the front, the bracket and cable interfered with the plug wires. I had to drill a hole in the tin to route the throttle cable up out of the firewall and then straight back over the dizzy to the master pulley. Good luck with your install, if you get stuck, e-mail Chris, he is very helpful.
audio_file
I installed mine ('75 2.0) with the master on the passenger front and the slave on the drivers rear... Works great. Be sure to trim the "in-between" cable so that there's not much extra with very little bend, or the resistance inside that cable sheath will give you issues operating/syncing the second carb.
NFBrown
mramber, exactly where did you bring the throttle cable through the tin? I may do mine the same as your's. Would you do it the same if you were doing it again? Maybe put the master on the driver's side rear?

I'm not sure I could remove the front spark plugs if I put the pulleys on the front.

Nick
falcor75
I see myself installing this kit in a not to far off future so please be generous with pictures of your installs. smile.gif
Cody914
I installed mine a few months ago and I love it! I found out real quickly that I never had that hex bar synced correctly with the throttle open. I installed my master on the passenger front. It is slightly tighter to get to the spark plugs when installed on the front, but still easily doable.

Here is a pic:
Click to view attachment
stugray
This shows just how flexible this system is!

I have my master pulley on the driver's side rear and the slave pulley on the passenger side rear.
PITA is that I have my remote start button on the passenger side, so it's hard to start the car while bumping the throttle by hand.
Cuz you have to hand actuate it from the master side.
mramber
QUOTE(NFBrown @ Apr 19 2015, 08:28 PM) *

mramber, exactly where did you bring the throttle cable through the tin? I may do mine the same as your's. Would you do it the same if you were doing it again? Maybe put the master on the driver's side rear?

I'm not sure I could remove the front spark plugs if I put the pulleys on the front.

Nick

Here is the pic that Chris sent me, this shows the hole location in front tine for the cable.

Click to view attachment

This is a pic of my set up, (not a pretty as Cody's engine) I can remove each plug without any trouble.

Click to view attachment

NFBrown
mrambler, thanks for the cable routing info. I think I'll do mine the same. Looks like the cable reaches ok.

I understand now; if one has short manifolds (like I do) the pulleys need to be on the back of the carbs.

Nick
SKL1
Helpful pics! Gonna see if front or back works better for me this afternoon... will try front first as cable should be easier to route there.

Interesting to see the oil pressure sending units- mine in the middle too very similiar to those pictured. Seems like we all end up doing much the same thing!

Also have Chris' breather tank in the same place!!
SKL1
I've got the linkage hooked up and when turning pulleys by hand everything seems ok- have all the slack out of the throttle cable, and have pedal stop turned in as far as it goes, but when I floor it I'm only getting about half throttle back at the carbs!

Been fighting this all afternoon and beginning to lose my cool. What the hell am I overlooking????
audio_file
Make sure the end of the cable (that you lock into the master pulley) isn't making contact with the tins as the pulley rotates, jamming it.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 22 2015, 05:34 PM) *

I've got the linkage hooked up and when turning pulleys by hand everything seems ok- have all the slack out of the throttle cable, and have pedal stop turned in as far as it goes, but when I floor it I'm only getting about half throttle back at the carbs!

Been fighting this all afternoon and beginning to lose my cool. What the hell am I overlooking????

You should have someone else push the pedal while you observe the pulley motion.
Its possible that you still have slack in the cable from it being hung up on something when you attached the end to the pulley.
There are a few places where this could occur, especially near the pedal or at the firewall.
Larmo63
This is a nice looking engine bay, Cody. I'm aiming for that type of look myself and I'm doing the Tangerine linkage too. Racer Chris is very helpful, btw.
mramber
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Apr 22 2015, 07:14 PM) *

QUOTE(SKL1 @ Apr 22 2015, 05:34 PM) *

You should have someone else push the pedal while you observe the pulley motion.
Its possible that you still have slack in the cable from it being hung up on something when you attached the end to the pulley.
There are a few places where this could occur, especially near the pedal or at the firewall.

I agree with Chris. Are you using the old cable or a new one? If you put a new one in it may be wrapped around the clutch cable up by the pedals. There is a length adjustment in the linkage where the pedal connects to the cable. Also check Chis's install guide, make sure that you install the throttle cable end all the way into the pulley before you tighten down the clamp. I had to mess around with mine for a couple of evenings before I got it right. Take the night off and think it over, I find that I solve a lot of problems once I pause, step back and sleep on it for a night. Good Luck!
SKL1
Putting in a new cable- wonder if routing it up front the old cable got tangled in all the other stuff running thru the tunnel!!

Hope that solves it as the linkage itself looks great and moves seamlessly.

Thx for suggestions Chris.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.