Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel flow Question from a rookie
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jack20
If I disconnect the fuel line forward of the fuel pump, what kind of flow should I be seeing from the tank. The tank has about 3 gal of fuel.
Thanks,
Jack
Mike Bellis
steady until empty... biggrin.gif
pilothyer
If you mean disconnect the line from the pump on it's outlet port, you probably wouldn't see much flow, very little if any. On the other hand if you disconnect the line from the inlet port you will gravity flow the tank until empty.
TheCabinetmaker
I'd guess you'll lose about three gallons.
jack20
Thanks guys. I meant fuel filter not fuel pump. If I disconnect the line from the inlet side what should I expect in the way of flow. Sorry.
somd914
Carbs or FI?

With D-Jet (can't speak for L-Jet) pump will come on for a few seconds when the ignition is switched on but then shut off until you start the engine. Pressure should be around 30 PSI if I recall correctly.

As for carbs, mine is wired such that the fuel pump comes on with the ignition and remains on, pressure is 3 PSI.

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track for what you are asking, but it appears that you don't have flow out of the pump before the filter, is that correct? If that is the case, do you ever hear the pump come on?
worn
QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 19 2015, 04:40 PM) *

Thanks guys. I meant fuel filter not fuel pump. If I disconnect the line from the inlet side what should I expect in the way of flow. Sorry.

You are trying to measure pump output eh? I would have to look it up, but it would be as described already. The stock FI would turn the pump on briefly. If you trick the pump relay, then you should be seeing a pretty steady stream. Tell us more. Even if I am an idiot the others in the bunch will have the answers.
pilothyer
QUOTE(jack20 @ Apr 19 2015, 07:40 PM) *

If the sock in the tank isn't clogged you could expect free flow from the tank to the ground biggrin.gif If you are trying to change the filter just squeeze off the line before you disconnect.
jack20
My car is a project that is very close to drivable. A week or so ago I changed the fuel hoses under the tank because I was in there anyway. Today I tried to start the car for the first time in weeks. Started OK before. Today it would chug a bit but not run. I checked fuel flo at the filter inlet. Very weak. I pulled up the tank an the hoses I installed fely very flimsy and prone to kinking. I bought these at bird thinking they were what I needed. That's why I'm asking about flow to the filter.
1974 2.0 FI
euro911
I'd pull the tank again and check the internal filter (sock). It's quite possible that it's clogged with varnish.

Carefully remove and clean it or replace it if it's not in good shape.

Be careful with the fiber washers too.
TheCabinetmaker
Sounds like you switched the lines at the tank.
bdstone914
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Apr 20 2015, 03:28 AM) *

Sounds like you switched the lines at the tank.

Hard to switch with them being different sizes. Making the hoses too long under the tank makes them prone to kinking. Look at them through the inspection hole under the tank and see if they are kinked.
jack20
Thanks for all the help. Turns out that the fuel lines I ordered were too flexible and cut off the fuel flow, which I what I suspected. I went to the FLAPS and got some overkill hoses and that solved the flow problem. Back on the road after six months of work. Feels great!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.