Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case splitting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nsyr
I am currently disassembling my engine and have gotten all the bolts and nuts off but I am having a difficult time getting the case to split. From what I understand it should come apart pretty easy? Any tips will be appreciated........
Jake Raby
Yes.... You have probably forgotten a bolt. There are several that are hidden including one between the pushrod tubes on the 3-4 side of the engine..

You really need this http://cpanel33.gzo.com/~ratboss/store/pro...09&cat=0&page=1

It's worth its weight in gold because I go over every single fastener on the engine and full disassembly and reassembly.

The case should split super easy- If it doesn't you have forgotten a fastener..
scotty b
There is actually a case splitting too lmade for VW engines if you have time to wait for a shipment. Most all VW shops carry it. It is basically a screw with a pad on either end and you turn a nut in the niddle to expand the sides. If you don't use that just be carefull not to put anything (screwdriver) in between the halves to pry with.
TheCabinetmaker
Jake, is the video available on dvd yet? I don't own a vhs/vcr.
scotty b
Yeah what Jake said too. I actually have a case in my destruction collection (parts that were to cool to toss) that some J.A. tried to pry apart and broke a jounal OFF because he forgot to take out that bolt.
415PB
Same thing happened to me and the advice I received from everyone was to check, check and check again for that one bolt and nut I was missing. Well I found it after looking for hourssssssssssss. Case came right apart after that. Good luck.
Jake Raby
All it takes is one....

Yes, Both my videos are now on DVD....

The DVD is 5 bucks more..
nsyr
Just want to say thanks, I did find that pesky bolt that was keeping it together. Took it out and it came right apart. Now back to the grind.......
Joe Ricard
So who can make up a picture of that hiding case nut. So Opera Guy can have a new AVATAR. bootyshake.gif
Jake Raby
Read my bio on my website... You'll seee that the first case I split when I was a kid was accomplished with a tree and a Tractor via a log chain...

Case tied to tree, case tied to tractor- Licketty split!

We all have to learn- I forgot one nut and broke a case that time.. Never had an issue since!
Joe Bob
QUOTE (415PB @ Feb 16 2005, 06:20 PM)
Same thing happened to me and the advice I received from everyone was to check, check and check again for that one bolt and nut I was missing.  Well I found it after looking for hourssssssssssss. Case came right apart after that. Good luck.

Hey look who's back....Rod....under your avatar it should read.....

"What is your malfunction, numbnutz..."

Full Metal Jacket.....

Back on subject....yeah when tearing down a dirty case, the nuts can be easy to miss. Once you get them all....it just falls apart.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.