Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Back pad (behind seats)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ray Warren
Has anybody ever replaced there backpad with carpet.
pics?
skline
I my self have never done it, but I have seen several that took out the back pad and either left it, or carpeted it or made a new pad so the racing seats would fit.
Bleyseng
In race cars you take them out, but for a street car it would be tooo loud!

Geoff biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
I like mine out. Whole interior is light gray epoxy. but since it is a 70 it also leaves no passenger seat. maybe I will work on that this weekend.
Put a stock late seat in with cut down butt pad.
redshift
QUOTE (Bleyseng @ Feb 16 2005, 10:18 PM)
In race cars you take them out, but for a street car it would be tooo loud!

Geoff biggrin.gif

Bleyseng
That white plush carpet would look hella awesome in your black Ottomobile.

Geoff biggrin.gif
redshift
dry.gif

I'd never do that, I'd have to start wiping before I drive.

M
greg.treadway
I like to look of the perlon carpet on the backpad area. I'm doing that in the extreme. Should show pics in the next couple of weeks.
Brando
If you take the back pad out, you can put some thick padding on there to dampen the sound. There's only so much you can do, since a lot of the noise comes through the window, i've noticed.

Even adding ½" sound-insulation material between the back pad and firewall didn't dampen it as much as I hoped. It made a difference, a real good difference, but not as much as I was expecting :|
xsboost90
i just bought a plush carpet kit for my car, when it gets here, im going to match it to some carpet for the back and put down dynamat, then glue it over that. Ill take pics.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (Brando @ Feb 16 2005, 07:54 PM)
If you take the back pad out, you can put some thick padding on there to dampen the sound. There's only so much you can do, since a lot of the noise comes through the window, i've noticed.

Even adding ½" sound-insulation material between the back pad and firewall didn't dampen it as much as I hoped. It made a difference, a real good difference, but not as much as I was expecting :|

brando.....

what did you use that is .5 inch thick? layers of dynamat???
Lou W
How much louder is it in the pasenger compartment when you remove the pad in the engine department?
I've seen some pictures of 914's with the backbad removed and repl;aced with something that looks like a felt type material that conforms with the shape of the panels. I just can't find the pictures. Has anybody seen something like this? dry.gif
bd1308
seriously if someone dumps thier backpad, could someone tell me how to fix those little metal tab things....mine are all gone
vortrex
one of the vendors in the parts and resources area makes a piece to fit here. he has pics of it. I think it looks really good.
redshift
QUOTE (Lou W @ Feb 16 2005, 11:34 PM)
How much louder is it in the pasenger compartment when you remove the pad in the engine department?

In the engine room?

WHOA!~ If you remove the backpad, and the deadening mat in the engine compartment..

Ever put a bucket on your head, and smack it with a hammer?

laugh.gif

M
Lou W
chairfall.gif

That would not be good. Did the earlier models have the insulation in the engine compartment?
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (xsboost90 @ Feb 16 2005, 07:07 PM)
i just bought a plush carpet kit for my car, when it gets here, im going to match it to some carpet for the back and put down dynamat, then glue it over that. Ill take pics.

You should get purple shag carpet. Yeah baby, yeah! mueba.gif aktion035.gif rocking nana.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
redshift
Yes... material may have been different.. been a long time since I had a stock early car.

M
wrpspddrvr
QUOTE (redshift @ Feb 16 2005, 07:53 PM)

Ever put a bucket on your head, and smack it with a hammer?

laugh.gif

M

No, but I've heard stories of guys at USMC bootcamp back in the day having to put buckets on their head and run around full-tilt until they hit a tree... ouch.
Sad to say it's gotten a smidge tamer since then. dry.gif dry.gif

Cole monkeydance.gif
Trekkor
I run without the sound mat on either side of the firewall.
The back pad is still in there though.
It's loud and I like it. Louder with the top off and windows down.

Loud is good.

KT
bd1308
my interior back pad is there, but the sound deadening material is gone....sounds like a B-18 bomber going 90 in tennessee (whoo hoo 70 mph speed limits)
Hi_Fi_Guy
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 16 2005, 07:36 PM)
seriously if someone dumps thier backpad, could someone tell me how to fix those little metal tab things....mine are all gone

Takes about a minute to make the tabs out of sheet metal. Snip, snip, bend, bend, voila! Make a backing plate so the rivets will nto pull through so you have a sandwhich...
bracket/backpad mat/backing blate

Pop rivet the entire thing together and you're done.

I used Dynamat Extreme on the floors covered by Dynaliner and Dynamat Extreme on the interior firewall behind the backpad covered by Extreme Dynaliner. Big difference in noise reduction. I get the induction roar of the carbs now but no clatter or clinking through the floors or firewall.
Maltese Falcon
I yanked out all of the interior behind the seats. I've got 2 Bosch c/d s and a portion of the roll bar behind the seats. Also a removable panel for the 12 plug dizzy and external alternator...so a carpet is not happy there. There is more noise and slightly more heat coming thru that .22 gauge metal...but thats hot rodding driving.gif
Brando
To answer your question aaron I used this aluminum-backed carpet-padding like material. 3M-glued it on the floorboards and firewall. I put it double-thick in some areas and it helped a little. If i rip out the back-pad I'll probably put another layer of the padding/carpet insulation then carpet. That gonna work?
mudfoot76
QUOTE (Lou W @ Feb 16 2005, 10:34 PM)
I've seen some pictures of 914's with the backbad removed and repl;aced with something that looks like a felt type material that conforms with the shape of the panels. I just can't find the pictures. Has anybody seen something like this? dry.gif

The PO of my car did this to make room for racing seats. The felt material is very thin but seems durable so far. PO also removed any sound deadening material from engine bay. Yes it is loud, but I like it that way. I do not notice any heat intrusion from behind the firewall...
i love porsche
ooo from reading all these posts, i cant wait to drive my teener, im taking out the backpad and just putting up carpet, nothing else, no sound deadening material...

i wanna get out of my car with a headache! chair.gif
jwalters
lol2.gif LOL!!!!

Reading this thread is a real treat--hehehehehehehe

Got my carpet / backpad replacement the other day from morphnspectra--it has a thick rubber backing on it, and combined with my rhino lined firewall in the hell hole--it should be more quiet than with that damned ugly ass backpad and sound deadener----ever since I saw a guy do it in Excellance mag I had to do it also--it is just so clean with that thing not there--ohh yea, and I am not using stock seats--- biggrin.gif
Carlitos Way
I believe Howard has a carpeted rear pad area. rolleyes.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif oh wait. That didn't come out right.

What I meant to say is Howard's car has a carpeted rear pad area. Yeah... that's it!!!

C
jwalters
QUOTE (cmolina @ Feb 17 2005, 01:06 PM)
I believe Howard has a carpeted rear pad area. rolleyes.gif wacko.gif laugh.gif oh wait. That didn't come out right.

What I meant to say is Howard's car has a carpeted rear pad area. Yeah... that's it!!!

C

chairfall.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.