Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What parts aren't worth saving when scrapping a car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I'm going to start scrapping out the two rust buckets I picked up in my purchase of the marathon blue '74.

Both cars are rust buckets. Other than the obvious (like gauges, any good chrome, headlights, glass, etc.) is there any value in saving trailing arms? calipers? steering rack? etc.?

It seems like most people have garages filled with this stuff that really has no value. I hate to throw away parts; however, no need to waste time and effort pulling parts I'll never need.
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Apr 20 2015, 04:43 PM) *

I'm going to start scrapping out the two rust buckets I picked up in my purchase of the marathon blue '74.

Both cars are rust buckets. Other than the obvious (like gauges, any good chrome, headlights, glass, etc.) is there any value in saving trailing arms? calipers? steering rack? etc.?

It seems like most people have garages filled with this stuff that really has no value. I hate to throw away parts; however, no need to waste time and effort pulling parts I'll never need.

Well, I could use another set of seat cores and F&R brake caliper cores. I'll give you the bumper tit as a down payment (forgot to hand it off to scotty at Hershey). Im sure there's lots of parts that you don't need but are usefull to others. But I know it's a pain to nickle and dime them in the classified. There is one rule of thumb, after you throw it out, you will eventually need it. biggrin.gif
billh1963
I've been throwing away some parts from my stash over the last year or so...

A couple seats, some headlight motors, brake master, reservoir some others odds and ends.

There isn't a market for them and even if you sell them for cheap my time is worth more to me than trying to find boxes, packing the stuff, taking them to the PO or UPS.

It's a shame because one day they may be worth something...just look at 356 parts!
bigkensteele
Do your a-arms have sway-bar tabs welded on? If so, I could use those.
r_towle
Anything that you can unbolt, like doors and hoods are starting to have slightly more value, but shipping sucks.

So, your market for large parts is southeast, maybe up into Maryland.....

The smaller stuff, mainly electrical and small chrome trim pieces also have value, and will continue to have value....

Any large sheet metal from the chassis is just a bunch of pictures, and a simple question on the board....really depends on who needs what that week...
boxsterfan
The little rubber grommet that is supposed to cover the wire going into the taco plate that you find half-disintegrated? Yeah, throw that out.

But if you had room to store and box up a bunch of stuff, you might want to just sit on it for 10 years. Definitely be worth more in that amount of time.
DRPHIL914
bill ,
what is the condition of the targa tops?
dangrouche
IMHO, Its a matter of storage space and where we live. If I had space, I would catalog and store it all with an "expiration date" for disposal. I.e., a city dweller versus a person who lives in the country with room for a shed or such.
Geezer914
Save any and all electrical switches, wire harnesses, and plugs. Headlight motors, wiper motor, fresh air blower, heater blower, and relay board. Door handles, and all locks, including the steering column lock.
dlee6204
I save all original hardware, clamps, etc. also any electrical switches, wiring, and relays.

If reproductions are available for a part and the used part is not in great condition, I toss it.
Dr Evil
" What parts aren't worth saving when scrapping a car?" The owner wink.gif

Send core calipers to Eric Shea. Its how he stays in bidness.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.