Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Subaru engine and tranny or keep 901
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Stacks914
Was wondering what you would all do as subaru low mileage engine are plentiful complete assembled with transmissions. Would you keep 901 or just swap it out now knowing that power is addictive and will need to be addressed at somepoint.?? Advise please. Thank you!
BeatNavy
You'll probably get more responses if you post this in the garage, not the classifieds. FWIW, I think there's a trend toward ditching the 901 now...but I don't have personal experience or knowledge.

EDIT: Sorry, I see that you did already.
JRust
QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Apr 20 2015, 10:45 PM) *

Was wondering what you would all do as subaru low mileage engine are plentiful complete assembled with transmissions. Would you keep 901 or just swap it out now knowing that power is addictive and will need to be addressed at somepoint.?? Advise please. Thank you!

It's all about money to start. You will deifnately spend some more getting the suby transmission setup. Having said that it isn't a rediculous amount. You can be into the adapter plate setup for the 901 for about $7-900 new. That includes everything you need (pressure plate, adapter plate & clutch). You can find those used for less. I bought a used setup for like $650. The benefit to the 901 is less work conversion wise. You don't need to change out your gauges (well tach needs work to adapt). Nothing to change on your CV's. Depending how you do your mounts the stock linkage can be made to work (may need a little more of a bend around the oil cooler). The 901 is pretty bulletproof. So for the ease of getting your conversion going. I have no problems using the 901. It is also pretty simple to swap to a suby tranny later. Down side is the shifting will still be pretty sloppy. It is a 40+ year old setup but with good bushings it is just fine.

The suby trans will be nicer to drive in the long run. Shifts are shorter & precise. Makes the whole feel more modern & comfortable. With the suby trans you have more things to change. But you don't need to do a custom adapter plate, flywheel & pressure plate. All the stock suby stuff will work & is easily available from your local auto parts store. The cv's will take some customization. There are a few options there & you just have to research the right one for you. You will need to redo your gauges. Speedo isn't going to work. I love the Speedhut gauges in my suby conversion. In the long run I think all suby conversions will end up with suby transmissions. Nothing wrong with doing your conversion in stages. Best of luck whatever route you go smile.gif
grimmel
Go for Subi engine & trans....901 rebuild cost are getting stupid and Subie trans are cheaper & getting better...

QUOTE(Stacks914 @ Apr 20 2015, 09:45 PM) *

Stacks914
Thanks for input everyone!! JRust I sent you a PM. The work will all be done at the same time as I bought the car to work on. More rust then I thought but not too much. reading all these threads of these great builds are going to keep me from driving it.
Stacks914
It's just sitting around getting dusty....
Stacks914
http://www.ebay.com/itm/94-95-SUBARU-IMPRE...0c9&vxp=mtr

This seams like the most logical choice 197 hp with 5 speed. This is $1200 shipped.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.