Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Line bore engine case in SF Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lonewolfe
My machinist bolted and torqued my engine case and said I need it line bored for first oversize. Unfortunately he's not set up to do this. Do any of you know of a reputable shop to get this done in the SF Bay Area? I'm actually in Oakland.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Apr 21 2015, 04:32 PM) *

My machinist bolted and torqued my engine case and said I need it line bored for first oversize. Unfortunately he's not set up to do this. Do any of you know of a reputable shop to get this done in the SF Bay Area? I'm actually in Oakland.

Jansen Enterprises works on T1 & T4 motors. I think he has the equipment to do this. last time I was there he was balancing cranks and rods. He operates out of the old Donsco building on Harbor Way in Belmont. 650-672-9785 is the number on the window. If you stop by, enter in the rear. He's done some pretty cool engine builds.
lonewolfe
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 21 2015, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(lonewolfe @ Apr 21 2015, 04:32 PM) *

Jansen Enterprises works on T1 & T4 motors. I think he has the equipment to do this. last time I was there he was balancing cranks and rods. He operates out of the old Donsco building on Harbor Way in Belmont. 650-672-9785 is the number on the window. If you stop by, enter in the rear. He's done some pretty cool engine builds.

Thanks Mike! I'm familiar with Ken from a previous VW engine build I did. Ken did all my machine work for that one. He's does excellent work but he'll make you wait on it for months. He doesn't return calls often either. I just don't know if I can deal with the frustration again. Perhaps you're in better with him than I was. There's always a group of guys hanging out there drinking beer and those guys seem to get there stuff done all the time. I live an hour away and have made many trips and supplied plenty of that beer but it never sped up the process for me. With Ken, if you're in, you're in! If you're not, you're not! I'd get it done a lot quicker shipping it down to SoCal!

Any other suggestions?
pilothyer
Look at this post and get in touch with John, you can PM him on here his member name is shown as: Jesco Reient http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=236879&hl=
McMark
It's not really close, but he's reliable and quick. He's done some work for me.

Soren Andersen in Santa Rosa
https://plus.google.com/1142497825604915606...gl=us&hl=en

Have a chat with him. I wouldn't be surprised if you could drop it off in the morning, go have a beer and lunch at Russian River Brewery downtown and pick it up in the afternoon. One trip! thumb3d.gif
PotterPorsche
ken is local if you cant wait. box it up and send it to brothers vw in Ontario. it will be back in 7 days
PotterPorsche
QUOTE(PotterPorsche @ Apr 22 2015, 02:04 PM) *

ken is local if you cant wait. box it up and send it to brothers vw in Ontario. it will be back in 7 days

http://brothersvwmachineshop.com/machine.htm

MartyYeoman
You could try Cory at FEX in Livermore his number is (925)456-5432. Tell him I sent you his way. He's machined a couple of motors for me.
He does good work. He knows Type-4s.
Marty
lonewolfe
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 22 2015, 10:34 AM) *

It's not really close, but he's reliable and quick. He's done some work for me.

Soren Andersen in Santa Rosa
https://plus.google.com/1142497825604915606...gl=us&hl=en

Have a chat with him. I wouldn't be surprised if you could drop it off in the morning, go have a beer and lunch at Russian River Brewery downtown and pick it up in the afternoon. One trip! thumb3d.gif

Hey Mark! Thanks for the recommendation for Soren Andersen! I made areangements with him today to do the machine work on my case. He seems like a great guy and like you, his reputation is outstanding!

Thanks again,

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.