Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bosch wiper blades
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
914ltd
Hi all
My last batch of new 13" Bosch blades will not work (properly) on 914 and 911-912 wiper arms. They now only have clips for 9mm arms. Any solutions?? Thanks, Brad
SirAndy
Weird. I just bought a set from my local Flaps maybe 3 months ago and they had the correct clip.
idea.gif
r_towle
just bought a set of bosch and they would not fit....

Seems the metal arm is too wide or something....
hard to see why it wont slide into place, but it wont....

Rich
green914
I bought a set of Bosch wiper blades last month had same problem mad.gif I took the clips out of the old blades, and used them on the new blades.
Tom_T
Andy may have a set from the older batch that still fits.

Brad - I'd send the whole order back to Bosch or your distributor that they're improperly made & make Bosch aware that they've screwed up this run, as they may not even know, or maybe it was an ill advised change not thinking of all the vintage/classic cars still using old school blades!?

I'll try to remember to ask the Sierra Madre Collection folks sponsoiring at the PCA Z8 SGVR Concours this Sunday if they had the same problem, but PM me on Monday for results, cuz I'll probably forget to get back to you with everything else I've got going on right now. You know .... that "half-zymers" at our age! dry.gif

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Larmo63
I bought these…..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-SWF-1968-1...=item27fdc7ec4b
Larmo63
Or, these, just for the blades……correct 13.25" length

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-1970-1...=item2a4f7ccdf5
914ltd
This is the only Bosch arm adapter that even comes close. It is too wide and does not have the crucial lock tab to keep it in place. I have used all my old adapters. Just wish there was a proper part for this.
Good project for 914Rubber.com?
Brad
somd914
Two weeks ago I bought a set of Bosch MicroEdge blades - a bit tight to get on but fit. Maybe my wiper arms aren't original.
andys
Same experience with the Bosch wipers blades. Returned them for some off-brand which fit fine.....Not to worry, since it doesn't rain is SoCal anyway.

Andys
rgalla9146
Off topic a bit.
Long ago I heard that if a car was fitted with SWF blades it had a SWF wiper motor.
Bosch blades ?....Bosch motor.
Also it's been years since I saw any blades that didn't extend onto the windshield trim.
This is an important topic, that those who want to use their car all year can get new blades.
Larmo63
There is a bulletin in the technical manual on this subject. It says to mount the left (driver) wiper on a higher angle as for the blade to miss the windshield trim. There are drawings and a measurement called out. The blades on eBay I mentioned above ARE correct, but they are pricey.
GeorgeRud
I finally gave up on the Bosch blades as they seem to fall apart too soon. Bought some PIAA silicon blades and they fit fine.

If I have any old Bosch adapters sitting around the garage, I'll send them your way Brad.
r_towle
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 23 2015, 02:46 PM) *

I finally gave up on the Bosch blades as they seem to fall apart too soon. Bought some PIAA silicon blades and they fit fine.

If I have any old Bosch adapters sitting around the garage, I'll send them your way Brad.

better at clearing the water?
Float at speed?

did you buy them online or in person somewhere?

rich
r_towle
icon_bump.gif
somd914
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Apr 23 2015, 02:46 PM) *

My experience with PIAA on my wife's Bimmer has not been good - metal ribs keep popping out of wiper and have also been very noisy.

GeorgeRud
I bought the PIAA blades on Amazon, but even though they clip onto the wiper arms fine, the clips are a bit too wide. Unless the SKF wiper blades fit correctly, I can't think of many other options that look right on the car.
914_7T3
Resurrecting this thread as my new Bosch wiper blades do not fit the Bosch wiper arms. Can't reuse the old clips as I've mangled them beyond recognition.

Anybody have a solution for what type of blade will work?

Came across this listing for SWF and thinking about picking up a set as it specifically references both 7mm & 9mm wide arms. The Bosch arms are 7mm at the end that clips to the blade.

SWF- Valeo Wiper Blade Assembly
P/N: 96462890102

MY70-76 - 914 Base, 4, 6 Front Left ~ Fits 7 & 9 mm wide wiper arms.
Front Right ~ Fits 7 & 9 mm wide wiper arms.

https://www.autohausaz.com/porsche-auto-par...eplacement.html
914ltd

I found these Trico blades. 13" black 7mm arm. The fit perfect and are cheap. I'm not sure how long they last but they are 1/2 the price of the Bosch blades that have 9mm arm fit.
Brad Mayeur
dr914@autoatlanta.com
we try to use the original SWF or valeo blades no problem with the fit
eric9144
Interesting timing as I just had to do a 3.5hr drive home in my 914 in the rain and the drivers side wiper was terrible.

These Bosch wipers claim to have 7mm hooks, since I need them anyway based on this past weekends drive, I'll order them and let you guys know.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-MicroEdge-40...974+Porsche+914
FlacaProductions
Got these from Wiperbladesusa.com - perfect fit.
Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 25 2020, 10:20 AM) *

Interesting timing as I just had to do a 3.5hr drive home in my 914 in the rain and the drivers side wiper was terrible.

These Bosch wipers claim to have 7mm hooks, since I need them anyway based on this past weekends drive, I'll order them and let you guys know.

https://smile.amazon.com/Bosch-MicroEdge-40...974+Porsche+914

@eric9144

Not sure those are going to work as those are the ones I ordered. You can see from the attached pics that the B6 attachment for 7mm is for a straight arm at the tip and not a hook. Regardless, let me know should you achieve success.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

bbrock
These adapters look interesting: https://smile.amazon.com/OTUAYAUTO-Universa...uct_top?ie=UTF8
Mikey914
Yes we could make a clip that would work if necessary. Just irritating that the wipre manufacturers are changing spec and we get caught in the middle.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 25 2020, 09:27 PM) *

Yes we could make a clip that would work if necessary. Just irritating that the wipre manufacturers are changing spec and we get caught in the middle.

@Mikey914

How about making refills, just the squeegee for the old bosch wipers? Back in the day I used to just replace the rubber squeegee part.

Seeing I have two 914's and a beetle I'd buy almost a dozen sets of refills.
Mikey914
Yes that is fairly easy. The dies cost a bit and I would be running thousands of ft of material as it's not a large extrusion. The question is the profile. I'll put up a thread and see what we get.
Mark
914_7T3
Add these POS blades to the list with Bosch that do not fit as advertised.

headbang.gif

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 25 2020, 06:01 PM) *

OK @bbrock , I'll give these a go instead of eating the shipping to return the SWF blades. Will post up on the fit once I get them.
mxkinn01
The last set I bought for my bug was the same. I had to use the old ones. Looks like I’ll be in the same boat when I replace the ones in the 914.
Sorry I’m no help.
Mike.
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 26 2020, 01:36 PM) *

OK @bbrock , I'll give these a go instead of eating the shipiing to return the SWF blades. Will post up on the fit once I get them.

Are the SWF blades 9mm also? I was hoping those would work. Look forward to hearing about the adapters. It would be nice to be able to mount modern blade styles even if they don't look period correct. popcorn[1].gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 26 2020, 01:58 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 26 2020, 01:36 PM) *

OK @bbrock , I'll give these a go instead of eating the shipiing to return the SWF blades. Will post up on the fit once I get them.

Are the SWF blades 9mm also? I was hoping those would work. Look forward to hearing about the adapters. It would be nice to be able to mount modern blade styles even if they don't look period correct. popcorn[1].gif

Yup, 9mm for the J Hook and 7mm adapter without the J Hook, same as the Bosch.
eric9144
Porsche Classic is now listing wipers:

http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-us...6462890102.html

I'm curious which ones they are. I noticed the parts selection seems to be expanding which is a good thing but man ~$31 per wiper is steep. smoke.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Feb 26 2020, 03:31 PM) *

Porsche Classic is now listing wipers:

http://www.classicshop.porsche.com/pcos-us...6462890102.html

I'm curious which ones they are. I noticed the parts selection seems to be expanding which is a good thing but man ~$31 per wiper is steep. smoke.gif

Same part #96462890102 as the SWF at $4.91 each. I would bet $31 that the Porsche Classic ones don't fit either.

laugh.gif
Mark Henry
If you have the new bosch blades I may have figured out a work around. I just wrapped a short length of SS cable the around the wiper arm and it takes up the oversize well.
I'll try to post some pic's later.
Mikey914
WOW
Should we really have to modify wiper blades to make them fit???
As the value of the cars go up, it makes our cars look janky!

Seems like if I make an adapter that fits the "modern" wipers it would make more sense
bbrock
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 29 2020, 05:13 PM) *

WOW

Seems like if I make an adapter that fits the "modern" wipers it would make more sense

agree.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(bbrock @ Feb 29 2020, 07:24 PM) *

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Feb 29 2020, 05:13 PM) *

WOW

agree.gif

Still waiting for the adapters to arrive from Amazon. Will post on fitment as soon as they arrive.
Mikey914
Yes if there is a solution that looks stock no need to make them.

Mark
eric9144
Got my new Bosch MicroEdge wipers from amazon yesterday...and... they don't fit the arms at all, had to swap the old clips out to make them work. blink.gif

The clips didn't want to seat on the arms correctly with too much thickness top to bottom, preventing the positive "click" from engaging as well as being just slightly too wide so even if it had clipped in they would have wagged on the arms when in use.

That being said, swapping clips is a no brainer, provided you have clips and they're still in good condition.
Johny Blackstain
New Bosch wipers do have some honking plastic, so I did the swap to the old clips shades.gif
914_7T3
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 26 2020, 12:36 PM) *

OK @bbrock , I'll give these a go instead of eating the shipping to return the SWF blades. Will post up on the fit once I get them.

These are a no go as well......................... headbang.gif
bbrock
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 2 2020, 10:09 PM) *

QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Feb 26 2020, 12:36 PM) *

These are a no go as well......................... headbang.gif

That sucks! Sounds like we need @Mikey914 to come to the rescue. It's pretty ridiculous these clips aren't available from the blade manufacturers.
914_7T3
Anybody know if this is the correct clip? If so, I have found a source.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(914_7T3 @ Mar 3 2020, 12:32 AM) *

Anybody know if this is the correct clip? If so, I have found a source.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

I have some Bosch blades that are new in box at home from Okteenerfest a few years back I will check to see but I think those look exactly like what I have, will recheck tonight. I can tell you they just don't seem to grab and hold very well,

Phil
bbrock
Here are the clips I just took off my 30+ year old Bosch wiper holders. Same as the clips in Johnny Blacktain's pic above. Of course, the one on the left was brittle and shattered headbang.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914_7T3
V..........Victory!

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
FlacaProductions
So...what was the final answer?
914_7T3
QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Mar 8 2020, 05:38 PM) *

So...what was the final answer?

Found them at one of my go to parts sources...Bug City! They have the adapters for the 7mm wiper arms.
Mikey914
I'll bring in a few of these so they will be easy to find.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.