Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: will this work for me?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Natedog
Hello!

Will this distributor work better than a Bosch 009 in a 2.0 914 running dual Weber 44 IDFs with a mild cam?

Bosch # 0231 176 044
VW # 043 905 205H

A friend pulled it from a 914 that was runnig some sort of Pinto Progressive carb set up???

And do I REALLY REALLY need to lose the 009 dizzy?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Cheers,
Nate
Joe Ricard
Don't have my handy dandy part number reference thingy here. But I have been converted to the .009 Dizzy crazy. I came over the wall from the 050 dizzy dinasty. Actually like it better. Since most of my driving is done on the freeways @ over 3500 RPMS or at the Autocross where it is banging on the rev limiter. 009 dizzys accept the bosch rev limit rotors. 050 did not (at least mine didn't)
Natedog
So you're running 009 on your 2.0 with carbs? Hmmm. Maybe I can stick with what I've got.

Hmmm.
SLITS
What is the problem you are having with running an 009 other than everyone says the advance curve is wrong for the type 4?
Natedog
What is the problem

I'm just trying to get it all dialed in. The RPM's come way up after about 10 minutes of running. The likely culprits are either the carbs or the dizzy.......... as far as I understand things anyhow.

Cheers
Nate
SLITS
QUOTE (Natedog @ Feb 17 2005, 10:19 AM)
What is the problem

I'm just trying to get it all dialed in. The RPM's come way up after about 10 minutes of running. The likely culprits are either the carbs or the dizzy.......... as far as I understand things anyhow.

Cheers
Nate

The likley candidate is a vaccum leak after the engine warms and metal expands - Check the manifold/carb gaskets or setting on carb linkage (tightness of the throttle cable)

The dizzy would only come into play if it somehow advanced itself after warming up.

The carbs could effect the idle as they heat up, as the fuel is better atomized as it warms......starts to lean out a tad possibly....
Natedog
Thanks SLITS! I agree that the RPM problem is more likely caused by the carbs. I need to dial them in! Do you know if any good directions for tuning a Weber 44 IDF?

But I'm still wondering if I should change out the dizzy and if that other one will be better than the 009.

Cheers
Nate
SLITS
Somewhere on this site (as I remember..hah) there was a discussion of how to begin the initial setup on the carbs. I can try later to do a search and see if I can find it.

Other than that, somewhere I have a book on the setup of Webers, but it's not at the office with me.
maf914
Nate,

You might want to get a Weber Manual by Haynes. They have tune-up and rebuild explanations for most of the various Weber carb models. A tune up and sync is not difficult, it just requires a series of methodical steps.

Also you can visit AirCooled.net and check their tech articles regarding carb tuning.

http://www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource...ce/articles.htm
Natedog
GREAT!
Thanks for the links on carb tuning. I found a few good ones on aircooled.net

But I must recover my own thread..... wacko.gif
Will this distributor work better than a Bosch 009 in a 2.0 914 running dual Weber 44 IDFs with a mild cam?
Bosch # 0231 176 044
VW # 043 905 205H

Cheers!
Nate
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.