Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hey, All You V8 Guys
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
riverman
I just bought an older Rod Simpson kit that had been previously installed in another car. The kit is pretty complete except for the water pump. My question is what kind of water pumps work for this installation? Do I need one with a custom housing or are there stock ones out there that work? Most of my research so far seems to indicate a Chrysler pump with a custom housing, but I would prefer a stock unit. I haven't bought a motor yet, but I'm looking at a 283.
dakotaewing
A "stock" unit will not work, unless you want to put a big, nasty dangerous hole in your firewall. You can buy the unit you were talking about from Desert Hybrids, Renagade, Rod Simpson, or Maybe Kennedy engineering. Or you can go the electric pump route from someone like Meziere....
There are many posts on this board regarding V8 stuff - Just use the search button -

Good luck with your new project !

Thom
BIGKAT_83
Meziere makes a very nice compact remote mount mechanical belt driven pump. part # wp430
This is what I plan to use on my new conversion. These are priced at $300 and I suspect that the conversion company pumps made with the old mopar pumps would cost about the same.

cool.gif
skline
Contact Desert hybrids, Renegade hybrids, or Rod Simpson and purchase one of their units, they are all pretty much the same. They are tried and tested and all work great.
914GT
This electric pump works beautiful. Use their water header and you have a very simple and efficient setup for less than $400. A single short hose connecting the pump to the engine. Then you can use a stock Chevy mechanical fuel pump, about $15. The DH pumps are excellent too. You might be able to buy a kit and build it yourself to save money.
smrz914
I would say that you should decide on the diameter of pipes you are running. Then choose your water pump. Renegade uses bigger line the simpson but they each have their own pump. How about some pics?
Sammy
The simpson and renegade pumps were nearly identical at one time, I've heard the renegade has evolved slightly with some casting clean up and modified piping connections.
They both work just fine.
Remember the key to sucess is KISS.
skline
QUOTE (Sammy @ Feb 17 2005, 08:24 PM)
The simpson and renegade pumps were nearly identical at one time, I've heard the renegade has evolved slightly with some casting clean up and modified piping connections.

KISS? Ok Sammy, I will bite, what is kiss?

I am running a Renegade pump with a RS radiator. I did change the water flanges to match the pump, seems to work fine.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (skline @ Feb 17 2005, 10:42 PM)
QUOTE (Sammy @ Feb 17 2005, 08:24 PM)

KISS? Ok Sammy, I will bite, what is kiss?

I am running a Renegade pump with a RS radiator. I did change the water flanges to match the pump, seems to work fine.

KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID
neo914-6
am running a Renegade pump with a RS radiator

I'm running the opposite set up! laugh.gif
According to Scott at Renegade, they improved their design by adding an inlet the shape of a thermostat housing (which it appears to be) to relieve the water pressure to the impeller.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.