Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Don't start with me!!!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Carlitos Way
Hello everyone,

Just trying to figure this out. Starter seems to work fine if the car is warm, but when it's cold (i.e. over night, or after a few hours of rest), the starter won't crank the engine. Not even a "click." Thank god for light cars and push-starts.

I'm suspecting a starter. Any other thoughts or ideas? Also, how difficult is it to replace the starter?

Thanks,

Carlos
Joe Bob
Check your grounds....the one from the trans to the body, the positive and negative posts on the battery, look for cracks in the cable that allow water in and then a cancer grows under the insulation....check the contacts at the starter...

edit...

BTW...have you ever tried tapping the solenoid with a mallet when it won't click? Sometimes pulling the solenoid and lubing it with dielectric grease will help.
Eric_Shea
...and then, check your solinoid. The words "Not even a click." make me suspect that "next" in the chain.
Brando
I suspected the same... But I have a wire run from the solenoid to the battery that i "tap" to the positive lead if the car doesnt want to start. That makes it run. Try the same?
Rand
Perhaps some frown on tricks like this, but when I had starter trouble, one of the first things I did was use a screwdriver on the starter/solenoid. I put the shank on the hot terminal, then slid the tip forward to tap the solenoid. It cranked. In a couple seconds I ruled out the battery, cables, ground strap, solenoid, etc. My problem ended up being the ignition switch.
Eric_Shea
laugh.gif I do the same but... that doesn't rule out the solenoid, I usually use that to point to the solenoid. No click = jump the terminals. Click = Solenoid is bad.

Right? confused24.gif
Rand
If you put power to the solenoid and it engages the starter and cranks, then solenoid is good.

If you can run a wire from solenoid to battery and it'll crank, then the problem is most likely the ignition switch (it's common for them to crack). Also check the connections in the solenoid wire circuit - particularly under the seat where the seatbelt switch/relay is. I made a set of long leads with alligator clips so I can connect to each end of a circuit and get them to my multimeter for a quick and easy continuity check.

TC/914
If you find that it's the solenoid, even if you replace it, it's a pretty good idea to have a remote starter button somewhere in the cabin. If the car should stall intraffic, rather than hurriedly turning the ignition off and on again, it's just so easy to hit the starter button and off you go. AND at a time like this, it serves as a diagnostic tool in troubleshooting the switch/starter/wiring/solenoid gremlins that will pop up now and then.

While you're under the car, it wouldn't hurt to replace the electrical connectors either. The spades and connectors in general become brittle with age/the current running through them and eventually work loose, or just plain fall apart.

Luck,

TC
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.