Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Case damage
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KevinP
I have a case half that has been damaged upon reassembly. While putting the crank in, one of the rods fell against the lower side of the deck register and cracked the case. This was already thin as it had been opened up for 103's. I'm talking small crack, but never the less I'm hoping to have it welded up and remachined. Anyone see a problem with this? I've had case halves welded up on motorcycle stuff with no problems but never on a 914.
stugray
If you have a case that is THAT delicate, then I think you have bigger problems.

When you say "fell against" do you mean "rotated while the crank was sitting in the bearing journals" OR

"Fell against after being dropped from the second floor overlook in my garage"?
r_towle
Should be ok, but one issue will be the case may warp due to the heat.
You may want to have that section face plained, or decked to make sure both cylinder registers are flat....

Now, once you do that, you need to pay close attention to how you set your deck height for each cylinder because one side may be different from the other...

Might be easier to have the machine shop take the same amount off both sides for you...

rich
r_towle
Once you add up those costs, it may be cheaper to grab a used case and have it bored our for the cylinders and call it even....
914itis
If it's a 2.0L I have one for you.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.