Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early Style Turn Signal Indicator Wiring
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
does anybody know where would the best place be to splice in a positive lead so i can have the dual turn signal indicator work as designed? I have the early style tach, but have a 74 2.0 . Is there easy access to one of the turn signal lamps from within the inside of the car?
Mueller
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Feb 17 2005, 12:08 PM)
does anybody know where would the best place be to splice in a positive lead so i can have the dual turn signal indicator work as designed? I have the early style tach, but have a 74 2.0 . Is there easy access to one of the turn signal lamps from within the inside of the car?

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, but you can access the wires from behind the gauges pretty easily by pulling them out a little towards you

bd1308
let me rephrase. Let's pretend that my turn signal (single one from my 73+ guage doesnt work, which it doesnt) what I need to do is draw a + from one of the turn signals from each side and connect them to the back of my new guage, the early style one....i've included a pic to help perhaps. Is there any easy way to do this? So pretty much when the turn signal lights I want the interior turn signal to light too.
Mueller
have you looked at the wiring diagrams in the Haynes manual?

I don't have mine here at work, but I know it shows those circuits......

my '73 has the dual indicator light gauge...at 1st both blinked when the signals were on (aftermarket relay), I re-wired the relay so that the indicator lights operate seperately.....only reason I did this was due to me having to get the car inspected due to it's "salvage" title

as long as you know the blinkers are on, do you really need to know which direction you are trying to turn? wacko.gif biggrin.gif
bd1308
if it's there....it shoud work. Thats my motto. Well then again, putting things off till tomorrow is my motto too.

my main problem is i can't read/decypher the cryptic code people call the wiring diagrams. I could probably spot a hidden message in there before I actually spot what I'm looking for.
Kerrys914
I am /will be doing this to my '74. I will look at the diagram and sketch up the installation. I have been reading the diagrams crazy like for my conversion.

If no one jumps in before.... I'll get you the info tonight/tomorrow
Joe Ricard
Ya my 70 has this same thing going on. when I got the car turn signals didn't work. Finally got it all working and the dash signal lights worked indepent of each other. For about 3 opeeration cycles and then the relay went T/U. Replaced the relay with unit from FLAPS and now both light work together. I just ignore it. Because som many other things demand my attention.
bd1308
QUOTE (Joe Ricard @ Feb 17 2005, 02:33 PM)
Ya my 70 has this same thing going on. when I got the car turn signals didn't work. Finally got it all working and the dash signal lights worked indepent of each other. For about 3 opeeration cycles and then the relay went T/U. Replaced the relay with unit from FLAPS and now both light work together. I just ignore it. Because som many other things demand my attention.

i dont know how to explain it (at all) but i know whats going on....sorry i cant help tho
Mueller
here you go:

look for item 22

it's all there...just trace the wires

colored wiring diagram
Dave_Darling
Minor little detail... There is only the one wire on the 74s. When the factory put a 73 tach into a 74 body (happened a number of times right after the beginning of the 74 model year), they just wired the two arrows' lights in parallel so both would flash when either turn signal was on.

From the look of the wiring diagram, the 74 indicator has one wire that comes directly from the flasher relay.

If you try to hook up the two 73 wires, you will probably want to unplug that blue/white wire and tape it up so it doesn't short on anything. (Hopefully the flasher and turn signals will still work without a connection there!!)

Then run a ground wire to both of the indicator bulbs. Doesn't matter where you get the ground from, as long as it is always ground. Then tap into the left turn signal's power wire (I think that's green/white?) and run a wire to the other terminal on the left indicator bulb; and tap into the right signal's power wire (green/black?) for the right indicator.

...With luck, this won't change the overall resistance of the circuit to the point where the lights don't work or to where they flash too slowly or too quickly!!

Umm, if there is only one connector on the back of each turn signal indicator bulb, then the bulbs ground through the body of the gauge and you can skip the ground wires.

Hope this makes sense.

--DD
ClayPerrine
An addendum to Dave's eloquent dissertation on the turn signals.....

Make sure that you wire the indicators to the same contact as the actual lights. The indicators are SUPPOSED to both flash when the hazard flasher knob is pulled. Well, I wired mine right off the turn signal switch. They work great with the turn signals, but they don't flash with the hazards. screwy.gif headbang.gif One consolation is that the red light on the hazard knob flashes when the hazards are on.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.