Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does this help the 1976 cars in California?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
Read this today....does it help?

http://jalopnik.com/200-could-get-you-out-...in-c-1699779618
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 24 2015, 06:14 AM) *

Not really. You would still have to had all the original smog equipment installed. If you actually have all the smog equipment, it most likely will pass inspection as is.
76-914
Condition 2 might be a hiccup. (2) Was manufactured during or after the 1976 model-year.
green914
Wait and see if the bill passes. confused24.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Apr 24 2015, 06:43 AM) *

QUOTE(CptTripps @ Apr 24 2015, 06:14 AM) *

Not really. You would still have to had all the original smog equipment installed. If you actually have all the smog equipment, it most likely will pass inspection as is.

^This...

My '78 242 would be on the road right now if I could just give someone $200 for smog!

Of course it would then have a SBF or 1UZ in it !

matthepcat
The bill also doesn't specify if "necessary repairs" can be performed by the vehicle owners.
damesandhotrods
As I understand the current smog laws, after going through all of those steps you end up at the mercy of the Smog Referee Station. This bill would let you after all of the steps avoid the Referee and just pay the DMV $200.
JawjaPorsche
I know smog laws are necessary for areas that have high destiny and are prone to smog.

That being said, I empathize the red tape some of yall are experiencing with your 914 or any car for that matter.

Where I live we do not have smog laws or inspections. I am blessed.
rosenfe
there are still counties in california where you have to get an initial smog with registration,but after that if you have an address in those counties,no more smog tets required.
mrholland2
The original thought was that no car be smogged after 30 years of age. That really should be the goal rather than this half-assed attempt at get a few thousand dollars a year.
Mueller
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 24 2015, 12:16 PM) *

The original thought was that no car be smogged after 30 years of age. That really should be the goal rather than this half-assed attempt at get a few thousand dollars a year.

^This

Ideally how many 30+ year old cars do you see on a daily basis?

I think the CA lawmakers are in the pockets of the Pick-n-pulls and new car dealers!
damesandhotrods
QUOTE(mrholland2 @ Apr 24 2015, 12:16 PM) *

The smog laws have never changed, only the smog inspection laws. I’ll be the first one to agree that 30 plus year old cars are a negligible amount of pollution, but if a non-gearhead does a cursory glance at any of the automotive forums and observes the zeal for removing pollution control devices they are going to be convinced that the inspections are necessary. If you want the CARB to start going after ships, aircraft, trucks, heavy machinery, fireplaces and the rest of the less regulated polluters you’re going to have to fund a lobby.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.