Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifter for Suby Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
madmax914
Does anyone one know if the Boxster shifter will work on a Subaru MT5 transmission? I know that the Toyota MR2 shifter works well but I was wondering if the Boxster will work the same. They both have the cables exiting out the back.
d914
mr2, boxster, corolla, accord, etc.
Chris H.
Slight warning on the Accord and Corolla shifters...mainly when using a setup like Ian's kit...with those shifters the actuation is reversed... I installed the Accord shifter with Ian's kit and the shift pattern was totally reverse of normal, so I couldn't use the Accord shifter unless I wanted to engineer a reverse of the reverse setup, or get used to a really weird shift pattern.

I think the Boxster shifter should be the same as the MR2 since it's designed for mid-engine use. The way to tell is: with the shift lever centered, when you move it to the right (towards 5th gear) the cable mount for left/right actuation should move UP, (or try to pull the cable). When you move it left, the mount should move DOWN (push the cable back). On the Accord and Corolla shifters the opposite happens. If you flip it around? No change.

Not sure about the fitment and cable situation...it might require special "Porsche" specific cable ends....
madmax914
I don't know if anyone's done it yet but I think I might Guinea pig it to see if the cables and shifter will work on the MT5. I may have to build a new shifter linkage at the tranny end to make the factory Boxster cables work. Thanks for your input.
Chris H.
Bob (BIGKAT_83) has a Boxster shifter in his LS car. He also has a Boxster 6 speed in it so of course the cables work out fine. I think you'll just have to figure out the trans cable ends (or maybe they'll work fine as is). Bob used the whole center console from a Boxster to cover the cables and all. It looks really nice.
madmax914
Roger that, thanks I'll see if Bigkat_83 can send pictures of the Boxster stock cable ends.
Chris H.
There are some on e-bay....the trans end actually looks kinda normal...I don't see a way to adjust them though...

Ebay example no affiliation
Mike Bellis
You will need 10mm ball studs to use Boxster cables on your custom linkage.
Andyrew
I just picked up a boxster shifter and cable linkage for 80 bucks shipped smile.gif Dont be afraid to make offers people!

This is going in my future Audi swap though... Probably very similar though in terms of fabrication. Length of the lines look plenty good to put the shift box wherever you want in the cabin with lots of room for running the lines under the engine.
Mike Bellis
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 24 2015, 04:58 PM) *

I just picked up a boxster shifter and cable linkage for 80 bucks shipped smile.gif Dont be afraid to make offers people!

This is going in my future Audi swap though... Probably very similar though in terms of fabrication. Length of the lines look plenty good to put the shift box wherever you want in the cabin with lots of room for running the lines under the engine.

The cables are a little long for the 914. I have mine routed around the right side of the engine to the suspension console and back to the tranny. This routing takes up some of the slack.
Andyrew
They are perfect for what I want. Im going to mount my shifter up near the steering wheel smile.gif Any excess slack will be taken up from the trans side.

I also considered running the cables on the intake side up and over the trans, but I still dont think there is enough slack for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.