Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Targa Top Paint Recommendations
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ansbacher
I am looking for a good paint to do my targa top. I DO NOT like or want a high-gloss finish, as to me that looks cheesy and what flippers routinely use. I want something between a satin and a medium gloss finish. Anybody out there have any suggestions? Thanks.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L White
EdwardBlume
I'm planning to use a semi gloss textured bed liner which I used on the rockers and rear valence.

I have a deep scratch on the top I need to address carefully as well.
mramber
QUOTE(Ansbacher @ Apr 24 2015, 01:10 PM) *

I am looking for a good paint to do my targa top. I DO NOT like or want a high-gloss finish, as to me that looks cheesy and what flippers routinely use. I want something between a satin and a medium gloss finish. Anybody out there have any suggestions? Thanks.

Ansbacher
'74 2.0L White

My top had been sanded smooth and painted by the PO. I wanted to get a satin black and textured look. My wife suggested that I try a can of Rustoleum Hammered Black paint. I was doubtful, but gave it a shot, and I really like the way it turned out. I'll have to get a pic of it on the car later, but here it is the day after painting it. It's actually not as glossy in up close as it looks in the picture.

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
They were originally a satin or semi-flat finish Black. Some folks have used the Wurth underbody shutz for texture with the satin/semi-flat/flat black over.
Java2570
I just purchased some SEM Color Coat Landau Black paint that I intend to use on my top.
It's a satin finish flexible paint that can be used on vinyl, plastics, etc.
I haven't tried it as of yet but I'm pretty sure others have used it with good success.
914_teener
I used the 3M undercoating on my valances and then sprayed them with a semigloss clear lacquer. They match the same stipple that's on the bumper tops. It's almost a perfect match.

Gonna do the top sometime this Summer. I did a thread on it a while back.

Ansbacher
Thanks to all for your suggestions and those that PMed me. I am intrigued by the Hammered Black idea and might give it a try. I know it is a very durable paint also, so should wear well in the elements.

Ansbacher
dudzy's914
The cheap way:
If the texture is still there and it has just discolored a little, I use Black Plast-Dip. Mine came out great and is not far off OEM color.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.