Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: good deal on a part...check it out
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nickg
i just bought a new 2.0 liter 73/74 bannana muffler from mid america(tweeks) for $219. it turns out to be a dansk....most other guys are selling them for over 400 for dansk. also got a deal of heater flappers too
Mueller
QUOTE (nickg @ Feb 17 2005, 01:55 PM)
i just bought a new 2.0 liter 73/74 bannana muffler from mid america(tweeks) for $219. it turns out to be a dansk....most other guys are selling them for over 400 for dansk. also got a deal of heater flappers too

isn't that the OEM of the factory part?

good deal.....hope it's built to flow and sound like the original
Aaron Cox
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
nickg
the original 914 was leistritz, the current porsche exhausts are Dansk, Dansk was a supplier for flapper valves and such. it is identical to the stock one, I will put some pictures up shortly. I was gonna get a bursch, but i wanted an oem style muffler.
skline
I like the factory muffler too. I just won an auction for a stainless leistritz muffler last week or so. I can hardly wait to get it and put it in the car with the 2 liter HE's. Let that motor breathe.
Dave_Darling
Now that muffler I would like to see!!

--DD
Cap'n Krusty
In all the time I've worked on 914s, I have yet to see a SS Leistritz muffler for a 914. The Cap'n
porsche914gt
I sold a 2.L one on Ebay last year, never used it.
Had it for years.
porsche914gt
Had some surface rust so I applied a little primer.
Jenny
QUOTE (porsche914gt @ Feb 17 2005, 04:17 PM)

ohmy.gif I thought I read somewhere that primer will actually pull moisture in, since it's porous.

Jen
Lou W
Jenny   Posted on Feb 17 2005, 04:36 PM
QUOTE (porsche914gt @ Feb 17 2005, 04:17 PM)

ohmy.gif I thought I read somewhere that primer will actually pull moisture in, since it's porous.

Jen

My understanding was that because it's porous, similar to a thin piece of cloth, the exposed areas will get rusted. Primer needs to be porous in order for the paint to stick. smile.gif
Jenny
Yeah, I know. My car was once 2/3 surface rust, and we primered over its unsightliness since I was driving it. I found out later that wasn't so good during the rainy season. It probably aids the rusts more. Proally alright for a couple months, but definitely not a long term solution.

Jen
nickg
i just ordered a set of flappers as well from them @39.99 each. they are going up to 49.99 shortly btw
Lou W
Jenny   Posted on Feb 17 2005, 05:11 PM Yeah, I know. My car was once 2/3 surface rust, and we primered over its unsightliness since I was driving it. I found out later that wasn't so good during the rainy season. It probably aids the rusts more. Proally alright for a couple months, but definitely not a long term solution.

Jen

Yah, you're probably ok for a short period of time, but at one point you'll have to remove the primer to get down to the rust, use "Metal Prep" then reprimer and paint. smile.gif
grantsfo
I still have original muffler on my car. It still has plenty of miles left. Did 74 1.8's use same manufacturer?
Marlow
What was the part number from Tweeks? 400-482 Muffler, ANSA, 2.0 ltr $219.99? Was that the one?
nickg
yup...2 left , they are dansk
Marlow
Thanks, ordered one up. I'm sick of how loud my exhaust currently is, a no-name 4 tip thingy that's just about rusted out.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.