Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 struts to borrow?? Need to test fit parts ....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Looking for local early (3" caliper spacing)

I placed an order with Wilwood today for a pair of their 12.19" diameter vented rotors along with the aluminum mounting hats.....

The factory 911 rotors are one piece, with the rotor and the hat cast as one piece.

The reason I went with the 12 inch rotor was to make it easier to bolt on the 4-pot rx-7 calipers....another 914 owner here welded on new caliper brackets, but I didn't want to go that route (I might weld new brackets for the trailing arm, but I didn't want to play around too much with the front struts)

I'm hoping these new rotors will fit a 911 strut and allow the same rx-7 calipers to be used.....

local people only, I don't want to deal with shipping smile.gif
Aaron Cox
do these use the super cool billet hubs?
Mueller
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Feb 17 2005, 03:07 PM)
do these use the super cool billet hubs?

billet hubs are only for the 4-lug struts......

for these to be used on the 911 struts, the stock 5-stud 911 hub can be used (if I didn't screw-up on the design and the math, which is pretty typical for me to make errors wacko.gif )

Aaron Cox
ok..looking closer at your pic... i get it. the rotor bolts to an adapter which bolts to the hub. smilie_pokal.gif slick!

how much are these rotors and calipers?
Mueller
calipers:

$15 at pick-n-pull, I'd imagine that they can be bought rebuilt just like the Volvo calipers....I bought my rotors for $50 a pop rebuilt on eBay

rotors are $35 each (you can get them drilled for about 10 bucks more from Wilwood) I found a place in Santa Rosa up north that sold the rotors for like $28 a pop)

the hat is pricey, $130 each, I'm sure it's something I can make, but right now it's easier to buy than make since my shop is not up to par right now..the hats are a 1 time only buy...the rotors only need to be replaced when they wear out..........

in order to bolt the caliper to the strut, a billet adapter will be used....not sure on the cost, but not much...I'm don't really plan on making kits, just let people know what works and how to do it.........

Britain Smith
Hey Mike...I have my old set of 912 struts which are 3" caliper spacings. I also have my new struts with 3.5" caliper spacing but they are going on my car soon, you can take as many measurments as you want though.

-Britain

chunger
Hey Mike,

I've got a set of M caliper struts 3" that are slated for the V8 project. It's not going together anytime soon. . . I can bring 'em next Tues. Do you need the bearings as well?

I have a complete Volvo vented rotor setup, but this developement is interesting to say the least. I do not like the weight of those Volvo calipers.

-'Chung
Mueller
QUOTE (chunger @ Feb 17 2005, 03:44 PM)
Hey Mike,

I've got a set of M caliper struts 3" that are slated for the V8 project. It's not going together anytime soon. . . I can bring 'em next Tues. Do you need the bearings as well?

I have a complete Volvo vented rotor setup, but this developement is interesting to say the least. I do not like the weight of those Volvo calipers.

-'Chung

Hey 'Chung,
that'll work.....yep, need the bearings and the hub (I have a 911 hub if you don't)

Britain,
no big deal on the 3.5" spacing now that I think of it...there are plenty of kits and methods available that are even cheaper I think.....when I win the Lotto, I'll be knocking on Haydens door and get his professional setup, for now, my mickey mouse engineering will work smile.gif

andys
Check with Desert Hybrids. They did a car with 4x Wilwood calipers on the 3.5" struts, but I don't remember which rotors they used.

Andy
Jeroen
Mike, how thich are those rotors?
neo914-6
[/QUOTE]It's not going together anytime soon[QUOTE]
How about your 930 tranny? laugh.gif
fiid
I have 3.5" spacing - you are welcome to come over to test fit the stuff - but they are bolted to the car at this point and I wasn't planning on taking them off again.

Having said that I do have another ball joint to replace....

Mueller
QUOTE (andys @ Feb 17 2005, 04:13 PM)
Check with Desert Hybrids. They did a car with 4x Wilwood calipers on the 3.5" struts, but I don't remember which rotors they used.

Andy

those are easy to do, they pretty much bolt right on......3.5" caliper spacing is very common, the smaller 3" spacing struts have been neglected smile.gif
Mueller
QUOTE (Jeroen @ Feb 17 2005, 04:14 PM)
Mike, how thich are those rotors?

20mm thick, same as the 911 vented rotors
up to 31.75mm are available
chunger
Hey Neo914 laugh.gif

the car's got too much welder.gif to finish without a garage. I've gotta finish my house first.

But, I spy you have an engine for sale that would bolt right up to my 930 real pretty. If only I had money. .. .

-'Chung
TimT
Mike you will have to make some spacers, and space the whole rotor/hub assembly out.

The disc will interfere with the lower control arm
Mueller
QUOTE (TimT @ Feb 17 2005, 04:48 PM)
Mike you will have to make some spacers, and space the whole rotor/hub assembly out.

The disc will interfere with the lower control arm

bummer.....

on the /4 struts the spacing is a little different, or so I hope so....damn, I did the mockup on a strut sitting on my workbench, forgot about the darn a-arm.....oh joy smile.gif
TimT
its no biggie, but you will need a spacer. I have 944T discs on my 911, and a spacer is required to clear the a-arm. Those wilwood discs are larger OD than the 944T so...
Mueller
QUOTE (TimT @ Feb 17 2005, 05:11 PM)
its no biggie, but you will need a spacer. I have 944T discs on my 911, and a spacer is required to clear the a-arm. Those wilwood discs are larger OD than the 944T so...

thanks for heads up.... beerchug.gif

I "almost" sprung for the drilled rotors since they are just a few bucks more, but I chickened out smile.gif

have you known anyone to run the "scalloped" rotors??

chunger
betcha could make it clear the A-arm if you scallop the rotor just right screwy.gif lol2.gif
ppickerell
Mike,
I have a 911 front end assembly from a late 70's early 80's car that you can borrow if needed.
fiid
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 17 2005, 04:16 PM)

WTF? You think you can post something like that without an explanation..? Did you photoshop that?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE (fiid @ Feb 17 2005, 08:51 PM)

WTF? You think you can post something like that without an explanation..? Did you photoshop that?

seen them on a honduh
Mueller

you've never seen these??

scalloped rotor, 12.19 dia X .81 thick, only 5.9 pounds smile.gif
Jeroen
Tim, what's the deal with the 944turbo rotors on a 911
Care to share some details?
TimT
Jeroen, I have this brake set up on my 911. With larger diameter calipers you sometimes have to space the whole hub out. I have about a .25" spacers on the spindle. Some large diameter rotors may work depending on how they are backspaced from the hub
914Timo
Jereon, I have this brake set up on my 911.

I have the same ยด86 951 rotors, but I use them with Boxter monoblocks. Everything seems to fit ok, but I have not yet tested them in practice.

TimT, what kind of rear brakes do you have ?? Do you use MB 23mm MC ??
914Timo
I have 944T discs on my 911, and a spacer is required to clear the a-arm.

Shhhhhh.......T !!!! Hard to believe, but if you say so I have to believe it. I have not yet tested that. Good to know I have to get some spacers. Thanks !!
fiid
QUOTE (Mueller @ Feb 17 2005, 10:34 PM)

you've never seen these??

scalloped rotor, 12.19 dia X .81 thick, only 5.9 pounds smile.gif

wow... that's freakin cool. I suppose they are really light and since surface area isn't helping - will brake just as well an cool a lot better.

I bet the constant leading edges are a bit tough on pads though....?

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.