Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went for a ride and all of a sudden trans felt like it went to neutral
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
westgl
I went for a ride and all of a sudden no warning, trans felt like it went into neutral, except, trans does not feel like it is shifting into any gears, or between any gears.
It feels more like shift linkage came loose.

I tried to shift but did not feel the trans even going through the gears.

This is on my 71' 914,

Must be something in the linkage came loose, anyone else experience this same situation?

I am wondering if i will need to remove a cover on the trans?

I was lucky a neighbor saw and offered to tow me back with his truck and on his tow rope.
914itis
Check your shift linkage at the transmission. The cone screw came off.
TheCabinetmaker
That, or the one on the yoke at the firewall
Drums66
....Look at tranny mounts.....they could be "CHEESE" idea.gif
euro911
I lost the cone screw at the front coupler (firewall). I installed the new one with a bit of blue lock-tite shades.gif
rhodyguy
A 71'. Unless the trans has been swapped for a side shift there are no linkage screws to contend with. Presuming the linkage is all functional, I would suspect the rolled pin that couples the 2 levers inside the rear cover. The access cover is on the bottom of the rear of the trans. You will want to drain the gear lube prior to removing the cover. The cover is shown on p.86 fig.5.21 and The pin setup is shown on p.87 fig.5.25 of your Haynes.
westgl
Thanks guys,

It has the original trans in it, rear shifter, and was Not converted to a side shifter, I wish it had been.

That's what i thought it was, a pin under that rear cover.

That's sucks its a roll pin, and not a fastener that has a better chance of staying put, but even a fastener can fail, I guess its Not bad for 40+ years, Now if it where of Chinese Origin, it would have been 40 minutes to failure.
rhodyguy
5x24 is written in my old Haynes. I had a pin go in my first 914. You'll need a new gasket and get 2 pins when you're buying. There are way worse tasks on a 914. Pins don't work their way out. They shear/break. You'll need a punch to drive the remnants out.
euro911
THOMAS made a special tool for removing those pins, but alas, he flew the coop a few year ago. Don't know who else has one confused24.gif

Suggestion: if you're going in that far, you can pull the selector shaft out and install a new shaft seal 'while you're in there' idea.gif
westgl
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 26 2015, 07:26 AM) *

A 71'. Unless the trans has been swapped for a side shift there are no linkage screws to contend with. Presuming the linkage is all functional, I would suspect the rolled pin that couples the 2 levers inside the rear cover. The access cover is on the bottom of the rear of the trans. You will want to drain the gear lube prior to removing the cover. The cover is shown on p.86 fig.5.21 and The pin setup is shown on p.87 fig.5.25 of your Haynes.

Thanks for the Page & Figure locations in the Haynes repair manual, that helped and went right to it.

Yea I said it was a 71' but its a mid 71' build, making it a 72' production car.
Ben and Ralph
Make sure you get the original M5x24 spiral roll pin. Made the mistake of putting a regular roll pin in there, and had to do this again 4 months later. It is a really easy fix. Drain the tranny, and remove the cover plate. put it in the gear that gives you the best angle to punch out the old/broken roll pin. The right size punch, and a ball peen hammer works best. Punch in the new one and your golden.
Ben and Ralph
Funny story, the first time I did this, being the doofus that I am, I completely forgot to drain the tranny before i removed the cover plate... I smelled like nasty trans fluid for like a week. barf.gif
rhodyguy
agreed on the triple roll. i put shift lever #14 (inside selector), on #12 shift lever (long rod) with the lever 180* wrong and figured it out after i drove the pin home, cover plate on and had lube in it. don't do that. glad i ordered 2 pins and gaskets. funny, the pins and gaskets cost next nothing. shipping and handling was like $9. items were shipped in a envelope with a stamp.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.