Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fired it up
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DavidSweden
2.0 GC Engine

Some of you may heáve read my cry for help last weekend, I have rebuilt my engine and was going to start it. I cranked the engine with the plugs pulled to make oil pressure but got nothing.

After following the advice from members (thanks for the help) I put the plugs in set the timing and cranked the engine. It fired immediately and made oil pressure at once.

I ran at 2000 for 20 min to break in the cam the engine ran smoothly and I saw no oil leaks, I then changed the oil and filter and left the engine to cool.

Question:

Do I need to do anything else or can I just drive it? Also what is the running in procedure?
Mr.Nobody
I have no answers to your questions, but CONGRATS!!

cheer.gif
tomrev
Start driving it without being too aggressive, run it up in 2nd, or 3rd gear, and let it decelerate in gear, so the rings get both combustion pressure, and drivetrain drag. Seems to help seat the rings properly. After 20 min. of this, begin to drive her, and stay shy of full revs for a few hundred miles. Just my opinion, but have run in a number of engines this way that lived long, happy lives.

MMW
No expert here, just relaying what I have always been told. Don't run a new engine at steady rpm for extended periods for the first 500 or so miles. Not counting cam break in. In other words don't just get on the freeway & cruise for miles on end.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(tomrev @ Apr 25 2015, 02:01 PM) *

Start driving it without being too aggressive, run it up in 2nd, or 3rd gear, and let it decelerate in gear, so the rings get both combustion pressure, and drivetrain drag. Seems to help seat the rings properly. After 20 min. of this, begin to drive her, and stay shy of full revs for a few hundred miles. Just my opinion, but have run in a number of engines this way that lived long, happy lives.

agree.gif and then beat the poop out of her! evilgrin.gif
914Sixer
Drive it like you stole it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.