Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I pull my ignition switch without a key?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TravisNeff
I had my keys stolen some time back, and my car is garage art at the moment - but have to move it about 6 blocks to my new digs. How can I get the switch out, without the key to unlock the steering wheel pin thingy?

I am down to pulling the column out and taking it to a locksmith with a key blank I have, looking for the down and dirty for a quick move.
sj914
Take outter door handle and have a key made from it.
TravisNeff
Damnit, that's too easy.... smilie_pokal.gif
markb
It's usually best to use the passenger door lock. It gets used less than the drivers' door lock.
TravisNeff
I guess I will pull all the locks and give them to the locksmith, the car had been partially re-keyed sometime in it's life.
sj914
You'll find having a key made from the tumbler makes, the keys fit better. After years of use, those old keys get rounded and sometimes you have to kind of wiggle the old keys to work. At least on mine it did.
Joe Bob
If you have AAA they will pay the costs if you submit the receipt or send one of thier guys out....
markb
QUOTE (mikez @ Feb 17 2005, 04:30 PM)
If you have AAA they will pay the costs if you submit the receipt or send one of thier guys out....

That's right! I forgot. If you have AAA, use them!! If you don't have AAA, get them! You're driving a 30 year old car, you're gonna need a tow someday. biggrin.gif
iiibdsiil
AAA is a must have for every 914 owner. Better to call them at 2 oclock in the AM than a friend that isn't going to do jack other than wait with you for them to come.

I had a caliper that was seizing up on me one day, it was hotter than a mother out, so I was like "okay, I am waiting until I get under an over pass, so at least I in the shade. AAA takes FOREVER sometimes, but I had a good time watching traffic. I had a friend drop me off cigarettes on his way to work since I ran out. smile.gif
URY914
Its easy to pull the lock out of the column. An allen wrench and a screwdriver I think is all that is needed.

I had to do it one day at a race when I forgot the keys at home.

Paul
TravisNeff
OK, spill the beans... how'd you do that? I have the SW off and the extra's off, but I can't figure it out.
URY914
QUOTE (Travis Neff @ Feb 17 2005, 08:30 PM)
OK, spill the beans... how'd you do that?  I have the SW off and the extra's off, but I can't figure it out.

You don't need to take the SW off but it will make it easier to get to. There is a plastic cover under the column which is held on with allen headed bolt. You need to almost be on your back looking up at the column. Remove the bolt. From there the lock and switch is exposed. There is a small set screw that holds the lock cylinder in place. Remove the screw, slide the cylinder out. The actual switch is under the lock cylinder. Only the tip of the key turns the switch to start the car. Once the lock cylinder is removed you can start the car with a flat blade screwdriver.

Once you've done this a few times you could easily steal a 914 in about 3 minutes. sad.gif

Paul
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.